MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mk3 214si, had a cat-back exhaust done bout 9 month ago, lately im noticing when driving at about 30 or more theres a constant farting noise coming from the exhaust somewhere in the middle, does ne1 else who had the same car hear this or are my cat and flexi pipe on the way out??

cheers, john

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
johntheboy said:
mk3 214si, had a cat-back exhaust done bout 9 month ago, lately im noticing when driving at about 30 or more theres a constant farting noise coming from the exhaust somewhere in the middle, does ne1 else who had the same car hear this or are my cat and flexi pipe on the way out??

cheers, john
I think almost every Mk3 farts. Usually the damn flexi. Been told it's pointless replacing it cuz it'll just start again in 6 months.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
This thread inspired me to strip the exhaust system down from manifold to backbox yesterday.

I looked inside the flexi and it was fine, no splits or anything. I sealed the joins with Gun Gum just in case anyway, but they were fine also.
Put new gaskets and sealing paste on all joints. Reassembled and took it for a spin...guess what? Exactly the same.

I had a good 5 mins listening under the car for blowing, but there isn't any coming from the flexi or anywhere else.
The noise you can here is simply just the noise the exhaust makes. It comes from the front pipe. Probably due to the front pipe being so long it tends to make the gas reverberate inside.

You can quieten it down a little by wrapping the flexi in a few layers of tin foil and then wrapping with alluminium tape and then wrapping wire around that to make it more secure. This seems to absorb the noise.

This has made difference and makes the noise more bearable when the windows are down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts