MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me confirm that my engine bay and radiator fans are working correctly?

I don't believe I've got a problem as this weekend I took the F on her longest trip in the 4 months I've had her, about 300 miles each way to North Wales, the water temperature never climbed any more than normal and the oil temperature gauge was bang on vertical almost all the time once the engine got properly hot (I think that's a bit on the high side but Tina's an early Mk2 and I believe the oil temp reads high without adding a resistor), only climbing slightly when my right foot got a little heavy on the way home.

Even sat in a traffic jam for 15 minutes I didn't see either of the gauges climb, however I can't say I have ever remembered hearing either of the fans come on, which is worrying me a little as even though everything else appears fine the fans are there for a damn good reason!

Any ideas anyone, should I just stop worrying?

Perhaps I should I just turn ELO down on the CD player so I can hear the fans? ;)

Martin

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Was similarly worried myself.

6 Months and no sound of the engine bay fan, never tried to listen to the other.

Anyway, heard it for the first time last weeknd as I got out the car - after about and an hour and a half on the motorway and half and hour stuck in traffic.

Got out and wondered what the noise was for a second...

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
...the oil temperature gauge was bang on vertical almost all the time once the engine got properly hot;)
That's what, 135? Mine's somewhere between 90-120, usually more 90 side. I musn't be driving fast enough.

My engine bay fan comes on if sat in traffic for a while (only usually in hot weather) ...I'd be suprised if you could hear the rad fan from the cockpit over the engine noise and, of course, ELO... ;)

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
As been said before, I wouldn't worry too much but always have a watching eye on that, the temperatures are not high enough to let the fans kick in (even if we had some good sunny days).

E.g. the engine bay fan kicks in at 75° C (mpi) or 85° (VVC), front fan not deffo sure but check if you have fitted the 20 A fuses (both fans) instead of the 15's marked.

Speaking of that, my F's engine bay fan was only active one time this year, last weekend as it's been hot here and after a 250 km blast with almost full throttle :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts