MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi could anyone tell what els could be wrong why fan dont come when car gets hot iv changed (fan switch)(thermostat)(water tank cap cos it wos leting out presser)(ive check the fan motor see if it spin when engine is off to see it wos motor but that's work's fine.but when i take wire that is connected to fan switch of and run engine the fan comes on straight away and stay's on when i re connect wire back to fan switch it stop's anyone no what the problem is ? and whaty damege can it cause if i keep running car with out fan ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,

M fan didnt work and that caused me to overheat and boil the expansion tank when sat in heavy traffic for over 15mins!!!

BEWARE! I had to change my head gasket, water pump, radiator etc because of it!!!!

All ive done now is wire up my fan to a swith inside the car so i can just switch it on when i feel like it (but remember to turn it off when you get out lol!)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Are you sure the stat is not faulty? If it is not switching at the correct temperature, or not at all, it will overheat causing damage. Have you checked the voltage of the switch and fan when at operating temperature? Sure fire way of knowing if the circuit is working and this will also point to what is wrong.

By-passing the fan and putting in a manual override is really only a temporary measure, you have to be disciplined and watch the temp gauge to ensure you don't overheat it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi fan

no it's brand new stat i have brand new radiater as well and new waterpump.how long should it take for temp gauge to go up? will it cause to blow headgasket if over heat's?and how do i check votege?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do i wire it up and ent you found the problem yet is your's still wired up there got to be something that is causeing this problem iv brought load's of new thing's and still ent working iv brought new radiater water pump water tank cap fan switch thermostat what els ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Basically youve got all the stuff brand new that ive got, my temp gauge is a bit dodgy now, tends to come on and off as it pleases!

I couldnt find out what was wrong to be honest, assumed it was a fault somewhere in the wiring... i know manually switching the fan is only temporary but i just turn it on as soon as i get in the car now to be safe!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
When the water is at the temperature for the stat to switch, the bi-metallic strip inside the stat will complete the circuit and force the fan to operate, should see 12volts across the stat terminals, thus supplying 12volts to the fan. If no voltage present, suspect faulty circuit, broken wire, blown fuse, loose connector somewhere, bulkhead etc.

If the fan operates when 12 volts are applied, then the fan is okay. Process of elimination, or a automotive electrician is required to test the circuits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how do i run the fan to a switch then so ican turn on

hi could you explain plz how i run it to a switch so i can turn fan on when i want will a kill switch do it and where do i run wire ?thank's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi kevin,

If you turn engine on - ignition only will do & short / join the wires to thermo / rad switch, the fan should come on. If it does - thats the fault.

Regards getting a manual switch, if you can find a live that is ignition controlled you will not have to remember to turn it off when leaving the car. You can go to the scrappy to get a switch - you will find a blank hole somewhere, or you can buy an illuminated one for a couple of quid @ any motor shop, Halfords do one for £2.99 in various colours, and make a hole yourself. Live in on one side, then out the other side to fan. Earth from fan can go to somewhere near & convenient.As mentioned by others this is only a temporary measure although it will work forever. BEWARE - THESE ENGINES DO NOT LIKE GETTING HOT AT ALL.

Best regards, Steve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Kevin,

The reason your interior fan wont work @ the lower speeds is the "heater resistor". If you remove the glove box box compartment you will find a cable going into the heater duct. Undo the nut/s and you will find the resistor. Simply replace this (available on ebay for £9.00 - £25.00) and the job is done. This is fairly common (did it on mine). I have included a link that shows in pictures how to do it. Choose carefully - your best buying a genuine article from someone with good feedback.

This is a link with pictures showing how to do it:
http://www.classicalguitarplayer.co.uk/instructions.pdf.

This is a link for Ebay with a selection for sale:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...m=R8&satitle=rover+heater+resistor&category0=

Best regards, Steve.

·
Registered
mg_zs
42 Posts
hi,
got the same prob but ive got a problem ive got what looks like 2 radiators a large one with a fan at the back of it and a smaller one in front of it with 2 fans on it none of the fans work and im going to temp fix them till i get a chance to get to garage but which one is which is one for the air con looked at the mg ave workshop manuel but there is nothing like it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Steve,

I would say the smaller one is the air con. If you look at them both, the one that controls engine temprature will have a fairly fat "top" hose going into it, quite short in comparison to the other one. Possibly with a bleed screw in it. Hope this helps,

Best regards, Steve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.