MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another problem with girlfs sisters MGF. Flat battery this afternoon, i started it with jump leads and as soon as i hooked it up the rad fan came on. so im thinking that it was on all day and thats what drained it.

what could be the cause of this?

any help appreciated.

thanks

andrew

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Another problem with girlfs sisters MGF. Flat battery this afternoon, i started it with jump leads and as soon as i hooked it up the rad fan came on. so im thinking that it was on all day and thats what drained it.

what could be the cause of this?

any help appreciated.

thanks

andrew
If you mean the Radiator fan then it sounds like the coolant sensor...... although can't see how this would flaten the battery?..

Have a look on Rob's site below, pretty much covers everthing MGF you will ever need to know, and will also show you where/how to replace the sensor. it's under 'Cooling system' IIRC.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. its flattened the battery because the fan is on constantly even when the car is locked up in the carpark, i guess between 7 and 6 it was parked up and just ran constantly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ouch, could be more serious, was going for about 45 mins outside the house parked up. Saying that, when it failed to start, the fan stopped, then when i put the leads on it didnt go back on. I dont think this is going to be as simple as first thought!

Will have to see what happens with it tomorrow. Looking at that guide on the link, it looks asthough the fan "switch" or sensor is near the rockercover instead of on the rad as they often seem to be. Is that right? If so maybe it wouldnt be so hard to change

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
There is a common fault with the ECU, in that it does not disconnect power when it should. This causes a battery drain. If you disconnect the battery and connect it again it resets the ECU and the relay. It sounds as though you have 2 problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.