MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fan on my '97 VVC does not want to turn on. When I first got the car a year ago it would come on during normal driving and would run on after the engine had stopped. Then on the motorway one day it started overheating and I couldn't hear the fan so I replaced the CTS. After that it seemed to work perfectly.

In february the Head Gasket failed and I replaced the thermostat, gaskets etc and started it up and waited for the fan to come on, but it didn't until I disconnected the CTS.

Today I was stuck in traffic for about an hour and noticed the gauge climbing (did it a few weeks ago as well) so I pulled over and with the engine still running checked everything and noticed the fan wasn't running. But I have heard it running last week, and it came on when I disconnected the CTS.

Is this a problem with the CTS or is there a relay somewhere that needs checking? I would have thought if the sensor had failed again it just wouldn't work or would be on all the time, not intermittantly working.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Respot said:
Nothing wrong with temp guage reaching 3/4's if fan is cycling on and off !!!!!!

Regards
DaveH
Nah, 3/4 is high and I'd be concerned. The engine temp really shouldn't vary from a touch over 1/2.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,730 Posts
engine temp

i would respectfully disagree again, my engine temp gauge never,ever, ever moved (until hgf!). even if booting it and then coming into traffic, gauge never moved a mm, fans never ever came on.(until cts failure! even then gauge never moved!)
Apart from hgf and getting air out of heater matrix the cooling system on a vcc should be damned fine, cooler than a pot smoking rasta yeti. Thermostat in a dumb ass place though, what a skin remover!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The needle doesn't move off of the half way mark in my 400 - even the other day when I was practising manouvers for about 15 or so min in hot weather with the a/c on.

Of course all the fans were on though, but it didn't move. :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
touche said:
fans never ever came on.(until cts failure! even then gauge never moved!)
Apart from hgf and getting air out of heater matrix the cooling system on a vcc should be damned fine, cooler than a pot smoking rasta yeti. Thermostat in a dumb ass place though, what a skin remover!
Er... my car is a vvc mgf and the water temp guage goes to its place then stays there. Even in traffic, am suspicious of it actually.
But the engine bay fan comes on nearly every time I drive it, even when not in traffic, just going along.
Thought this was normal, even when weather was not nearly as hot as it is now.
Is it normal for the engine bay fan to come on most times you drive?
Know the radiator fan will only kick in after really heavy traffic probably.
Yet to hear it come on as I try to avoid really bad traffic by leaving work late etc etc.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Respot said:
I respectfully disagree....... if stuck in traffic the temp gauge will rise !!
I 've watched the temperature on the diagnostics go from 88 to 104 degrees and yet see very little movement on the gauge, this has been tried on several K series cars ...

·
Registered
782 Posts
technozen said:
I 've watched the temperature on the diagnostics go from 88 to 104 degrees and yet see very little movement on the gauge, this has been treid on several K series cars ...
WHATS YOUR POINT....?

DaveH

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Respot said:
WHATS YOUR POINT....?

DaveH
His point is if its going over half way then theres a problem it should NOT move above half way anytime, unless there is a problem, its not a debate its a fact!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
Personally I would be worried if my F went over half way.
The temperature shouldn't be going over half way. I've never seen a K-Series powered car with a temperature gauge go up to 3/4 is normal use, regardless of outside temperature or traffic.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Nick Birse said:
The temperature shouldn't be going over half way. I've never seen a K-Series powered car with a temperature gauge go up to 3/4 is normal use, regardless of outside temperature or traffic.

Aye, exactly the point I was trying to make.

I have owned a lot of K series powered cars, and none of them have had the temp gauge over half way.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Under the sort of pressure that the cooling system operates at, anything upto 105 degrees is probably normal, thus the needle sholudnt go above half.

Indeed, my old 200's gauge never moved above half (actually, it always stopped just before). And I do mean never, not once in the near 3 years I owned it.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Mike200SEi said:
Under the sort of pressure that the cooling system operates at, anything upto 105 degrees is probably normal, thus the needle sholudnt go above half.

Indeed, my old 200's gauge never moved above half (actually, it always stopped just before). And I do mean never, not once in the near 3 years I owned it.
Exactly, the quantity of coolant and the pressure of the coolant system is precisely what prevents the temperature from rising beyond the 1/2 way mark on the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i read it on a rush..but i would recommend to check the valve that gives you the indication in the instrument pack..they don't last forever..the engine may run perfectly but still to have wrong indication about the temperature..
if i have understand correctly this is fitted under the CTS?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts