MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Long time no post, still unable to navigate this 'New' site easily but I'm hoping I'm in contact with a few of the long timers.
I've always had a preference for the Falken Zeis ZE914 tyres and put a pair on the rear of my TF about 2000mls ago.
I now need to replace the fronts, but am having great difficulty finding a fitter that does the correct size, ie Falken Ziex 195/45 R16 80V
Does the collective wisdom know of any fitters in the Swindon area (or national chain) who can supply and fit this size?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
Not really a concrete answer for you, but I fit Falken 205/45/16 on the front and 215/40/16 on the rear, no problems.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a concrete answer for you, but I fit Falken 205/45/16 on the front and 215/40/16 on the rear, no problems.
Thanks for that.
I had considered that option, as other sizes are readily available, but wasn't sure how the handling would be affected.
I'll probably go with the 205's on the front.
Cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 914 has been superceded by the 310. Halfords Autocentres have the right sizes.
Thanks for that info, none of the tyre fitters I spoke to mentioned it!
Anybody fitted them?Any problems at all?
They seem to cost less than the 914's any reason for that? Made in China perhaps?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frustrating afternoon!
Halfords said they had the Falkens in the right size, but didn't!
Tried to sell me these:
Sailwin Sportway 56 (195/45 R16 84W)

Which looked OK and were supposedly designed for sports cars such as the TF.
Never having heard of them before, I declined and said I would do some research.
So, anybody come across them or even fitted a set?
Having seen the Falken 310, I'm reluctant to fit them as they just don't look like a good road holding tyre.
Why do tyre manufacturers make life so difficult!

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
Cheap and Chinese. I have no experience of sailwin, but if they are as good as most other cheap fareast made tyres, I would be reluctant to fit them to a wheelbarrow.

As all reports regarding the F and TF and tyres suggest that the handling of these cars is more seriously affected by different tyre types, I would recommend sticking with the tried and trusted Falken - Halfords aren't the only firm who supply tyres ;)

·
Registered
MGF
331 Posts
Stop Faffing about and go for the Toyo T1-R's they are a much better tyre and suit the F/TF better than the Falkens. (y) I can wait to get my 914's off! :poop::cautious:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL!
I had Toyo's on my F and they never gave me the confidence that the 914's do. They stick like Sh*t to a blanket, even in the wet.
Different driving styles I suppose.
I have now sourced a pair and await delivery.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
LOL!
I had Toyo's on my F and they never gave me the confidence that the 914's do. They stick like Sh*t to a blanket, even in the wet.
Different driving styles I suppose.
I have now sourced a pair and await delivery.
Have you got the exact same ones? or the newer type.
I like the khumo ecstas but then they stopped making the same as I had on. It would be nice if they would just keep making the same tyre. I have falkens on now but know I will have to change the right side soonest. By the time I need to change them who knows if they will be available any more?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two 205/45/16 914's on the way from RoundTrip Tyres in Essex. I'm promised that they are the original design, same as the 215/40/16's on the rear.
Sadly the 195/45/16 914's are no longer available, the 205's are at the moment, but as you indicate, they are being phased out and replaced with the 310.
It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has fitted the 310's.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RoundTrip tyres - what a waste of time they are!

After 12 days of none delivery and false promises I cancelled the order and gave up on them. The fact that they don't have a contact address or telephone number should have alerted me I suppose.

I eventually sourced a pair of correct sized 914's (195/45/16) from Demon Tweeks in Wrexham. More expensive, but hopefully a more reliable supplier.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
RoundTrip tyres - what a waste of time they are!

After 12 days of none delivery and false promises I cancelled the order and gave up on them. The fact that they don't have a contact address or telephone number should have alerted me I suppose.

I eventually sourced a pair of correct sized 914's (195/45/16) from Demon Tweeks in Wrexham. More expensive, but hopefully a more reliable supplier.
Frustrating! sorry to hear you had wasted your energies on a no show. I have however bought from Demon Tweeks. I found them pretty good. Let's hope they do the do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, got the Falkens on the front and couldn't resist giving it some beans on the country lanes around Faringdon on the way back.
What a difference! The old tyres weren't that worn, or so I thought, but the grip from the front end is much better and the steering is really positive.
Could the 205's as opposed to the 195's be a better fit or is it just newness?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh sorry, forgot to mention that Demon Tweeks didn't have the 195's that they promised, so sent 205's, (by agreement), for £40 less.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
The 205s are 10mm wider than the 195s, so you will have a greater area of rubber in contact with the road, which may account for at least part of the improvement. The new tyres are also likely to be a little more flexible than the old ones too, as the compound does tend to harden and become stiffer as it gets older.

·
Registered
mg_tf
192 Posts
Manybe a little controversial but I read in a motoring magazine recently (dont remember which), and I quote.

"Many MG TF owners are putting the same size tyre all-round"

Didn't say which tyres but I assume the rear tyres also on the front.

Remarks, comments, shock reaction! Please.

Robert

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used to know why they were different sizes, something to do with a slight rubbing on the front when on full lock, but my memory's rubbish these days. No doubt one of the more agile minded bods will tell us.
I still have the 215's on the rear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts