MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for the long post, want to make sure you have all the info for this one.

So I pulled into tesco petrol station at about 2am this morning.

Realised after I opened my window it was making a new noise... not a good one.

Popped the bonnet and had a look. It was a sort of rapid knocking/tapping noise coming from around the right side of the engine.

It went up and down with revvs, and after checking about to make sure everything was in it's proper place I got a bit worried and switched it off.

When checking the coolant I noticed it had dropped to its minimum mark, and set about looking for leaks. My radiator was in a **** poor state anyway, fins missing everywhere and needs replacing (actually bought one but haven't had the chance to do it).

It didn't seem to be visibly leaking anywhere, although a friend who was with me pointed out there was no pressure when squeezing the top radiator hose, as though the system wasn't sealed or there was air in there. Is this normal?

One thing I do know also is that that pipe in particular gets very hot because it's directly over my exhaust manifold and there is no cover on it (never had one since buying the car).

I checked the oil, no nescaffe gold blend effect in there... gently nursed the car back home as everything seemed to be running ok despite the noise, and by the time it got there (about 10 miles) the noise had disappeared. I took it out for a gentle drive and the noise did not return, and there certainly doesn't seem to be any loss of power or more smoke than normal.

Any ideas please people? I'm going on a long drive this weekend to london, and do not want to end up with potential problems on the motorway.

I'm planning on going over all parts of the car anyway if I can and replacing that radiator hopefully tomorrow. Anything that would be good to check... please let me know!

P.S. Hoping it isn't HG related, temps are not raising above middle mark and I'm keeping an eye on coolant level. Car has already had the headgasket done once and is on 93k miles.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I cannot risk my car failing on me as I rely on it for my job (fixing computers in homes/businesses, always ferrying them back and forth from my home), so I need it sorted ASAP :)

·
Registered
rover_75
3,869 Posts
DON,T start the car untill you have checked the cambelt and tensioner and water pump.
If one of those is breaking up and fails compleatly then major engine damage will occur.
It could also be the alternator bearings.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it sound anything like my knocking noise.

Ignore the rustle sound, its just the video cam. Here is my thread also, if it helps. Video would be a help if it comes back.

TAPPING NOISE PLEASE HELP (video included)
Very similar, but not as deep and diesely, a bit higher pitched.

I've done about 3000 miles in the car and never heard that noise before on it though :(. Would that be the tappets?

DON,T start the car untill you have checked the cambelt and tensioner and water pump.
If one of those is breaking up and fails compleatly then major engine damage will occur.
It could also be the alternator bearings.
I doubt it is this as the noise was not coming from the left of the engine..

There is an occasional rubbing/grinding noise that comes from there that the car has had since new, I've been advised it might be a bearing in cam belt tensioner.... but this is definately not the same noise or in the same place.

Not the alternator either, the alternator whines a little and could probably need the bearing seing to but its not in that area at all.

Is the water level significant then? Or could that just be that I haven't checked it in a while, and my radiator is buggered :p

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Very similar, but not as deep and diesely, a bit higher pitched.

I've done about 3000 miles in the car and never heard that noise before on it though :(. Would that be the tappets?
If its more ticky than mine, could just be the tappets, I get the occasional tick when its been left sitting a while, whats your cars mileage?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If its more ticky than mine, could just be the tappets, I get the occasional tick when its been left sitting a while, whats your cars mileage?
As I said in my original post mate, 93k miles, had the headgasket done in the past (not sure when), always been serviced and came with lovely clean oil and filters when I got it a few months back.

Friend of mine said something could have got into the engine then worked its way out... don't know how this could have happened though as my K & N cone filter is perfectly intact and I've given the intake manifold and TB a clean in the past with carb cleaner.

Done 3000 miles in it since with not a problem, except the tensioner noise I know needs resolving.

Should I wham some wynns tappet stuff in there and change the radiator?

Also, I know that I should get the tensioner sorted... how much am I looking at for that? (on tight budget at the moment) Will be a garage job unless you can talk me into believing its easy and safe.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
There's not really anything on that side of the engine that should make a noise as you describe, all I can think of is that it might be gearbox related. Does it make the noise in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's not really anything on that side of the engine that should make a noise as you describe, all I can think of is that it might be gearbox related. Does it make the noise in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed?
It did indeed yes... as it was still making the noise in the McDonalds drive thru >_> Wish it was the box as I want to have it swapped anyway, that's a bit whiney too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it is the lifters (been a while since I popped the cam covers off mine, sure they have hydraulic lifters though, not tappets!), that could be a sign that the oil pickup is blocked, which happens with poor servicing (note, the Rover 15k interval = poor servicing!).

If you suspect the cambelt tensioner bearing, get a new cambelt kit on it pretty damn pronto!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If it is the lifters (been a while since I popped the cam covers off mine, sure they have hydraulic lifters though, not tappets!), that could be a sign that the oil pickup is blocked, which happens with poor servicing (note, the Rover 15k interval = poor servicing!).

If you suspect the cambelt tensioner bearing, get a new cambelt kit on it pretty damn pronto!
Yep probably try some lifter treatment, they are hydraulic lifters/tapets, whatever you want to call them. I had mine in pieces trying to find my knock. At 93k they might just be a little bit sticky.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep probably try some lifter treatment, they are hydraulic lifters/tapets, whatever you want to call them. I had mine in pieces trying to find my knock. At 93k they might just be a little bit sticky.
Thanks for the advice there... I'll put some cleaning stuff in.

How much should a decent garage charge for replacing the cam tensioner?

And when I'm going over the car doing all the bits that need to be done is there anything I should clean out? Could I manually clean all the lifters etc by removing the rocker cover or is it a head off job... ( I know it'd need a new gasket, but I like to do things properly if I can. )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts