MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm visiting this site for the first time in a while. Apologies if you've covered all of these points in your hour of darkness but I can't read all of the threads from the last 6 months:

* Congratulations to Patricia Hewitt for a top-drawer political display. (Could this be a future prime minister we are seeing?) A slow, lingering death for MG Rover would have been most unwelcome during an election campaign. Far better to announce its demise now and get the negative headlines out of the way. No need to stump up the £100 m and the worst thing that happens is that six marginal seats in the West Midlands go Tory. (Big deal, the commons majority is currently 169!). Blaming the Chinese was another master-stroke.

* Amidst all this talk of failed deals with the Chinese ignores the fact that 12 months or so ago, MG Rover were seemingly on to a good deal with TATA, something in time-honoured Rover tradition, they went and wrecked.

* MISTAKE 1: Where was the product development? Indica wasn't good enough for UK/Europe: Indians were turning it down because it was a tad rough and the interior sparse. It was, however, adequate as a starting package for MG Rover to develop. MGR's attempts at improving the dynamics were inadequate and the development of the interior non-existent.

* MISTAKE 2: Where was the advertising? Whether it's an all-new model, a revamp or a gentle reminder that the old model is still around, all car companies are always promoting their superminis. Citroen, Ford, Fiat, Honda, SeatToyota, Vauxhall and VW have run TV ad campaigns this year. Even Kia buy air-time for the Picanto. Did you ever see a TV add, billboard or newspaper or magazine ad for the CityRover?

* MISTAKE 3: Where was the spin? Most people found out about the CityRover when lazy journos (who forget that foreign companies like Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot, VW, GM and Ford all invest in the UK) got in a strop at the thought of a British company doing the same abroad. MGR management never once thought to come back at the press and state that the TATA tie-up could/would safeguard the entire company including the jobs in the UK.

* MISTAKE 4: Why give up so early? 6 months in to the CityRover venture and it was all doom and gloom with the the tie-up heading for a divorce. Neither TATA nor MGR can afford to produce sub-standard cars for much longer: they are both getting eaten alive in their home markets. Here were two companies that actually needed each other. At the first sign of trouble, the deal was off. You can be sure that this lack of sticking power impressed the Chinese. Why do you think they don't fancy it? The idea of going in with a bunch of people that aren't looking sufficiently into the long-term would not impress any foreign investor.

So there you have it. After many disasters and false dawns, and after the bungling of so many different groups of people, the basic little TATA Indica could have saved what remained of the British car industry!

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I have to disagree with your post. I myself have owned two CR's and nothing was wrong with any of them. The other simple fact is even if Rover made a car better then the Panda/Picanto which every one says is great (I have to disagree with it) the badge on the front is still a ROVER and in under 25's that is uncool. Tata have no trouble selling the Indica in India that is one reason they did not see any point in making the car more European as in the home market the waiting list is growing delay for the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts