MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my MG TF has just failed an MOT, and the garage has told me I need to order a few parts so they can weld and fix the damage. I’ve been looking on RimmerBros and I’m struggling to figure out which parts I need exactly. Is anyone able to help?

I’ll provide the MOT details below

Font Paper Document Paper product Circle

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,987 Posts
Rear sill is common rust problem, a good MOT tester will have highlighted the affected area with yellow chalk. Front subframe mounts as mentioned above or just go on ebay and search "mgtf front subframe mounts" they are the same on the front and rear subframes but make sure when buying you check the part number as mentioned above as that will show the size...they are the small ones. Personalty I'd go stainless :) Be aware, it is common for the bolts to shear on the small subframe mounts and they are a pain on the rear.

Technically you need to lower the subframe to remove the long subframe to mount bolts as they cannot be removed without it being lowered, however; I just undo bolts, angle grind off the heads and pull out the other way and then fit new ones the opposite way... Shocks as above, read this thread for info on holey sills :p small rust hole in rear sill repair?

In relation to advisories, subframes are usually always being put down as corroded, get wire brush, remove as much surface rust as you can, then treat with a rust inhibitor or as I do Phosphoric Acid (main ingredient of most rust inhibiters), once dry paint with Wilko red oxide and topcoat with outdoor gloss. Suspension arm pins...bay them as prolly cheaper than rimmers unless you live down the road from them.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,664 Posts
Further to Dert's excellent hack regarding the long subframe mount bolts (they are used on the rear-of-subframe mounts only), they are Loctited in so to avoid possibly getting a hernia trying to undo them, just heat them up a little, about boiling point is enough and easy to test with a bit of spit on the end of a finger.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Some very good advice has been provided above. My first thought though is why cant the garage source these parts?

They did the test, they know better than anyone which parts are needed...

Reactions: Richardhb

·
Registered
148 Posts
IanMc. Agreed, however I've found to my cost recently that many garages like Halfords, are not really what I'd call a old fashioned garage. They use the cheapest of parts, and some are even seconds. Maybe our pages starter could visit a MG garage or at least a little independent? I found a little guy recently that does everything, ex council mechanic, has worked on Buses, Taxis and such, but very cheap too. And yes, they should know what parts to order.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts