MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd give a comparison twixt my impressions of my old F and and my new Z3.
I really liked the F, chuckable, nippy, economical and reasonably reliable over the 60k+ miles I had it, and with the TT on it sounded the part aswell.
First impressions of the Z, done just over 1000 miles in it now, are pretty good. The most striking difference is the build quality, particularly when you consider the two cars retailed for about the same price when new, I would say there is as much engineering gone into the headlight switch as in the whole of the F (no surprises there!)
It is far more fun to drive than I imagined from the test drive, but I'd still say the F edges it for grins/mile on the windy stuff, but the Z is a far better drive on the m/way and fast A roads.
The front end is HUGE - Ive manged to only drive into the wall on the car park once though!! (crazed front reg plate)
Initially it felt a lot slower than the F off the mark, but after I realised it just needed to be revved, I'd say its pretty close but again the F has the edge, overtaking from around 50/60 the Z feels safer and quicker. The biggest disappointment is in the sound stakes - a bit asthmatic - 'specially after the TT.
It gives about the same MPG as the F, and A plan only charged £15 extra for the remaining 7 months on my policy.
The hood can be upped and downed whilst seated so evens there.
The wind with the roof down is just about bearable upto 60 but you feel like you're being whipped (OK for some maybe) at m/way speeds - first purchase a windstop.
So far it's been back to the garage (a BM main agents) twice - a couple of dash bulbs and tweeks to the alarm system and a broken front spring - even more common on a BM than HGF on the F - but now it's sitting unevenly so it's back in next Tues for the other spring to be changed ( I told them this would happen, but do they listen?) - waste of their time really as along with the windstop -40mm Eibachs are on order, but I want to make sure it's right before I start messing with it.
All in I'm pretty pleased, and with the windstop and springs to get rid of the 4x4 look I think I'll be more so.
Summing up, dynamically theres not much between the 2, IMO the F is prettier, but the Z more stylish, build quality wise they're not in the same cosmos - but I'd spend money on either again.
Went on bit longer than I intended!
Cheers
Gareth
(AKA Z3 Pilot)

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
very interesting read.... hopefully u will stay with us and feed us knowledge about things as they go on.
regardless of ability, performance or costs, its an old model and my vanity would not allow me to haev anything other than a Z4 if i went the bmw route.
it does look dated and badly drawn, but as long as u are pleased. then thats great.

any plans on coming along to a meet so we can haev a compare?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thats an interesting and objective read me thinks. However only real fun and good looking Z3 imo is the M version ;)

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
very interesting read.... hopefully u will stay with us and feed us knowledge about things as they go on.
regardless of ability, performance or costs, its an old model and my vanity would not allow me to haev anything other than a Z4 if i went the bmw route.
it does look dated and badly drawn, but as long as u are pleased. then thats great.

any plans on coming along to a meet so we can haev a compare?
The problem with the Z4 is that it's all bloody nose. You're sat in the boot basicly. At least the Z3 is a bit more balanced in driving position.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You all let me off quite lightly there, I was expecting a little more flaming!

Yep, I will, keep you abreast of future developments - been on to Chipped UK today about a remap which sounds a goer and apparently the M44 engine just loves 98 RON fuel!!! Hmmmm?

deano
As for attending a meet, I'll be at the N/W meet tommorrow night in Warrington, and fancy Silverstone, so maybe we can compare your wobbly bits and my quality man made materials!!:ts:
Cheers
G

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Nice and interesting read Gareth, no one will slap me if I'd ask you
to post a pic of your new pride and joy. Roll on summer, enjoy :D

Just to add: I think you really have plenty of chances to join the darkside :evil: ;)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Thought I'd give a comparison twixt my impressions of my old F and and my new Z3.
I really liked the F, chuckable, nippy, economical and reasonably reliable over the 60k+ miles I had it, and with the TT on it sounded the part aswell.
First impressions of the Z, done just over 1000 miles in it now, are pretty good. The most striking difference is the build quality, particularly when you consider the two cars retailed for about the same price when new, I would say there is as much engineering gone into the headlight switch as in the whole of the F (no surprises there!)
It is far more fun to drive than I imagined from the test drive, but I'd still say the F edges it for grins/mile on the windy stuff, but the Z is a far better drive on the m/way and fast A roads.
The front end is HUGE - Ive manged to only drive into the wall on the car park once though!! (crazed front reg plate)
Initially it felt a lot slower than the F off the mark, but after I realised it just needed to be revved, I'd say its pretty close but again the F has the edge, overtaking from around 50/60 the Z feels safer and quicker. The biggest disappointment is in the sound stakes - a bit asthmatic - 'specially after the TT.
It gives about the same MPG as the F, and A plan only charged £15 extra for the remaining 7 months on my policy.
The hood can be upped and downed whilst seated so evens there.
The wind with the roof down is just about bearable upto 60 but you feel like you're being whipped (OK for some maybe) at m/way speeds - first purchase a windstop.
So far it's been back to the garage (a BM main agents) twice - a couple of dash bulbs and tweeks to the alarm system and a broken front spring - even more common on a BM than HGF on the F - but now it's sitting unevenly so it's back in next Tues for the other spring to be changed ( I told them this would happen, but do they listen?) - waste of their time really as along with the windstop -40mm Eibachs are on order, but I want to make sure it's right before I start messing with it.
All in I'm pretty pleased, and with the windstop and springs to get rid of the 4x4 look I think I'll be more so.
Summing up, dynamically theres not much between the 2, IMO the F is prettier, but the Z more stylish, build quality wise they're not in the same cosmos - but I'd spend money on either again.
Went on bit longer than I intended!
Cheers
Gareth
(AKA Z3 Pilot)
I did look at a Z3 many years ago before buying my old 'F' and for the most part I would agree with the above..

Get used to replacing Springs Gareth.... Deb's beemer has allready had 2 replaced and it's started knocking again from the rear so I expect another one for this months MOT!!.:indiff:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Disappointingly, I actually received 1 negative reputation point for my original post, (which is of course anonymous), now I don't mind a bit of open banter (in fact enjoy it) but I personally feel this to be totally unjustified, and probably personal as opposed to being against the content of the post.
If you found it a worthy read click my scales!!
Your's Whoreing for positive feedback.
G

1 - 20 of 28 Posts