MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, i've had a particularly busy weekend, and i thought you lot might be interested in hearing about it (and i also have a favour to ask) :eyes:

I was invited up to Kimber House in Abingdon yesterday and as of Saturday, i am now a member of the MG Car Club F Register Committee, specifically my role is part of the ongoing (never ending?) Archive project. What we are trying to do is develop an archive on the MGF / MG TF detailing specifics on as many cars as possible mainly for future owners, but also to help pin down when specific items were added / changes made etc. It's a historical record for future generations / posterity.

So what do we need? Basically anything and everything!! :yikes:

Put yourself in the position of a future buyer of your (now classic) car. What would you like to know? The car's history? Specification from new? Used in advertising / owned by a celeb / was on Emerdale? Modifications carried out? Won any prizes? Attended any events? Original numberplate (if changed) - basically the works (including photographs!)

It's a mamoth task and one that will never end - and we already have a large amount of data, mainly from MG Car Club members. What we are trying to do though is more definitive than simply the Car Club membership though - we need as much information as possible on as many cars as possible.

Blimey, what have i let myself in for!!!! :scary:

If you are a car club member, you can already add your details online here:

>> http://www.mgcars.org.uk/carclub/mgfregister/fregister/register/index.htm <<

Unfortunately this is only for Car Club members (the membership number is a required field), but this is due to change, as we are interested in every MGF TF out there.

So, what do i want from you lot then?

Basically anything you can give me. The above form gives you an idea of the information we are after, but this is the bare bones of it, data for a database if you like. We want more than this, what makes your car unique? How long have you owned it? Bought from new? If not, who did you buy it from (look at the V5 document). Have you attended any major events? What was the original specification and have you modified the car (if so how?)

Be creative - you can't give us too much information!

OK, time to get a bit serious.

Obviously, some of this information is potentially sensitive, i can assure you though that this is 100% above board, has the backing of the MG Car Club F Register and is part of the MG Car Club's remit, indeed it already has extensive archive material on all the MG models produced over the years. The information will be secure and only the historical information, rather than the unique identifying features / numbers will be available to people - there will be no opportunity for someone to clone your car.

We are actively seeking the records from the factory at the moment, but as you can imagine, given recent events we aren't exactly top of thier agenda, however, we (as a car club) do have tacit approval from the factory and i expect this information to become available as and when production of the TF eventually ceases (i still hold out hope that this will be when a replacement comes along, rather than any time in the imediate future).

So, i suppose it comes down to 'do you trust me?' and 'how much time can i spare to type it all up?'

If you do and can spare 10, 15 minutes whatever, we have set up an email account specifically to deal with this data.

My new email account is: >> [email protected] <<

Again, only mail me details if you are happy with my credibility. You are more than welcome to wait until the secure site is set up (i understand we have been talking to Steve Childs about this, so hopefully it will be up and running reasonably soon), in this case, treat this posting as a 'heads up' that we are after this information and maybe spend a few minutes thinking about what you want to tell us.

As an aside, we shall be talking to owners, taking photographs and VIN numbers down at events and even in the street from now on, so if a large bloke with a ginger ponytail and a clipboard approaches you in a car park it could very well be me! (I don't bite!! :lol: ).

I realise i am asking quite a lot, but it is with the best of intentions and an opportunity for you to organise your car's history (which is always a good thing to do).

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S. Maybe a mod can make this a sticky?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not wrong mate! Massive task, and one that as long as there are Fs and TFs out there will never end.

To give you some idea of the challenge, we (F Register committee) had a speaker from the MGA Register about this at the last meeting, basically they made around 100,000 MGAs (similar figures tot he MGF / TF) and they have been working on thier archive for 50 odd years. To date they have details of 10,000 cars - or 10%.

Admittedly, a lot of A's went to the US whereas, the bulk of F/TFs stayed in the UK, but it is still very daunting, not least because we are after as much info as possible.

I doubt my contribution will be massive in the big scheme of things, but to quote Tesco, 'every little helps' :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Best of luck Andy!.

You are more than welcome to take down my `old girls` particulars ( and those of my F if you like).

Hope you dont have to list `mods`, Are you up for a `Novel`:minxy: .

Speaking of the old girl, she will be 10 in 6 months or so, does she get a Cake with 10 candles on as birthday prezzy of the Register!.:eyes: .

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
How much data has Dieter collected during the years. Or is it impossible to get that data ? (afterall we gave it to Dieter and not to the mgcc)

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marl,

There will be a display of all 10 year old cars at the MG 10 event this year (see my signature for details). Fancy popping along for the day? Loads to do (including a technical demonstration by yours truly - supposidly in one of the lecture theatres! - stage fright already!!! :scary: ).

And yes we are after as much information as possible (including modifications). I am working on a list of stuff on Scarlet at the moment - 5 pages long so far :yikes: But it's all for a good cause. :)

----------------

Erik,

Dieter has been approached and is looking to participate (he's quite keen by all accounts). Actually i need to speak with him on this matter - there are three of us on the committee charged with this task, and although i am involved with data gathering, my specific role is more geared towards finding out what changes were made at what VIN numbers, specifics on numbers of LEs produced (and full specifications) and basically clarifying OE specs on as many cars as possible (for things like concours judging / originality etc.) Dieter already has a large database and has done a lot of work in this regard. I suspect though that for us to be definitive, we shall need the factory records - again, work is progressing in this regard.

----------------

Thanks to the mod for making this thread sticky. :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Andy.

Was going to the 10th anyway!, hoping to drag a few of the locals down with me!.

I thought the display of Fs was the original press cars from 95?, (or whats left of them).
My F was reg in the first week of 96, so assume manu late 95?, given that they did not start numbers till 251, and the next 250 were press cars the first customer delivered Fs started at 502?, which makes mine around the 1500th customer built F.

Will have to find out exact manu date, see how close she is to the 16th!!.

Mark.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, now this is entirely the kind of thing we are trying to find out for sure.

You see i understood that the first cars were press cars (and French / Japanese one make race series vehicles), but these had VIN numbers less than 251 and were supposed to be scrapped once thier original use had expired, but some of them did make it into private hands.

So, it is a bit confusing, because officially the first production MGF was VIN 251 and this resides in the Heritage Motor Museum, but there are a few (normally with an SVC numberplate) pre-251 VIN cars around.

I know for a fact that VIN 500 belongs to Mike Satur (indeed i had it as a courtesy car once, it's his Charcoal demonstrator), and also that he has serviced VIN 400 and VIN 300.

For the record, mine was registered on Feb 24th 1996 and is VIN 4240, so she shall be 9 years old still when the celebrations kick off. I suspect she was manufactured in January 1996, but would like to find out for sure - one of the main reasons i am interested and involved in this project. :)

And as i understand it, the display is for cars that are 10 years old (press cars or otherwise). So you are in with a shot i reckon! :D

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Thanks Andy.

Got a little mixed up on the press car thing , was allways told vins started at 251, the old abby works telephone number I believe.

Mine is 2516, reg first week in the new year of 96, so must have been manu 95, but its how to find out the exact date!!.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Just as a footnote Andy.

Have kept all the standard bits whenever I have stuck on the next `mod`, just looking at the old plastic interior bits, they have a month/year code stamped on the back, all of mine say 11th or 12th 95, Ok its not a definitive manu date but could help people with an approx date for thier cars when submitting info for your records!.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have a question. If you are doing a wide survey of cars (ie stopping and reviewing them in the street) taking their name and number etc etc. Are you going to record any damage to them. Reason is that by recording for example (blue MGF with a bent boot in southhampton) if you supplied this information to somone who was looking to purchase a car and the original owner disputed it could you not be held liable?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope.

Information will come from owners mainly, we shall be at events taking down details, but the information we are after encompases the car's history as well as it's specification, so a chat with the owner is also needed. Condition of cars isn't relevant as the condition varies depending on how well it is looked after. For example, my F was looking a bit tired before the accident, but following the rebuild looked great. The paintwork needs re-doing at the moment, so in the space of a couple of years the condition of my car has varied wildly.

G

·
Wow Andy....huge task!

Was really interested in that snippet of info re the MGAs...didn't realise that a lot of them ended up in the US...I have been making a few feeble attempts at tracing the MGA my bro-in-law owned during the '60s but with little success as all I have is the original colour and original numberplate...no vin etc...maybe thats where his ended up to! Contacted Roger Martin(?) and it hasn't been put in their archive.

Would be more than willing to add Aphrodite to your list if you want her details....good luck, Andy!

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Andie, massive and never ending task, but one that i hope to make at least a small contribution too.

MGAs were built during the time after WWII when British industry were told to 'export or die'. MG had scored a big success in the US with the T-Type midgets and looked to repeat, and even improve upon this achievement with the MGA - thus a large number of A's went across the pond and the Midget and MGB followed in the same mould. The MGB was the last MG to be sold over there in numbers, and i for one believe that if the F and TF were available over there then the company probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now. Shame.

Yes i'm very interested in receiving details on Aphrodite, you can send them to the email addy above, or if you are concerned about security, i am working on getting an >> @mgfregister << account on a secure server at present, so maybe hold fire for a couple of days?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, an update for you.

The FTFarchive @ aol.com account has been superseeded by an official one from the F Register, here:

>> [email protected] <<

I have edited my original posting to show this. :D

There is also work going on to covert the existing database to SQL - i admit i have no idea what is involved in this, or even what SQL is, but i understand it is a web friendly database, so there is progress on the secure website project.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts