MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys ive had my black plastics removed and painted, im going to be refitting them later tonight, what i want to know is am i ok to wash the car or should i wait some time (days, weeks etc etc) to fully allow the paint to harden or set or whatever it does?

i dont use pressure washers on my cars anyway i always use a bucket and sponge but i dont want to wreck them as its taken me a while to get them done.

also when they have done their setting business what should i use on them to bring them up to shine? wax polish? or something like autoglym bumper care?

cheers

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
sure i've said this three times in different threads now.

you can wash and polish them but not wax/seal

washing and polishing will only clean or remove tiny immeasureable amounts of laquer.

waxes and sealants seal the paint and stop the gases released in the drying process from escaping which weakens the paint.

wait at leasta a month before waxing, or remove them again and keep them i na warm place like an airing cupboard for 24/48 hours

andy

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well theyve been in a garage for 48 hours drying so should be ok?

so best thing to do is just to wash it but dont dress them or anything like that for a good 4-6 weeks?

cheers

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
wash and polsih is fine but wax or sealant (AG EGP or similar) is a no no

if they've been in the warm for 48 hours i'f give them a week on the car with current weather and you should be fine to wax them

andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts