MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i got a bargin. Been after a Mgtf bootlid for a while to put on my F the guys said "that will be £85 for the bootlid and £15 for the carrage" awsome!.

i was at work when i got delivered so my mum signed. rushed home from work excited as a little boy christmas morning. There it was.... nicely bubble wrapped. i immediatly tore the wrapping off and it looked great, complete with the brake light.... Awsome! ....... until... yup there it was, the classic modification kindly made by the carrier. it was sort of a spoiler but in a wierd place on the edge of the bootlid by the hinge? not understanding how this new modification would help me aero-dynamicly i took a closer look. thats when it hit me like a piece of onion in a plain cheese sandwich. This wasnt a good modification at all...... in fact it was a rather bad one. The really nice carrier man must have dropped it and bent the end up! thank you very much!!!!!!!

Not only did they say they wont pay for it as my mum signed for it but i find my credit card had £117.50 taken off instead of the £100 i was told. i phone the guys trying to explain in a nice way how not only had i piad for scrap but the price was higher to! the guy said er ye the price i told you was without vat.

so £117.50 worse off with a bent bootlid to show for it :)

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Sounds like they were a bit cheeky!
Give trading standards a bell, as the item was delivered in an "unfit for purpose" and "not accurately described" condition. You'll get you money back hands down if they get involved.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
RoboChallenge said:
Last week i got a bargin. Been after a Mgtf bootlid for a while to put on my F the guys said "that will be £85 for the bootlid and £15 for the carrage" awsome!.

i was at work when i got delivered so my mum signed. rushed home from work excited as a little boy christmas morning. There it was.... nicely bubble wrapped. i immediatly tore the wrapping off and it looked great, complete with the brake light.... Awsome! ....... until... yup there it was, the classic modification kindly made by the carrier. it was sort of a spoiler but in a wierd place on the edge of the bootlid by the hinge? not understanding how this new modification would help me aero-dynamicly i took a closer look. thats when it hit me like a piece of onion in a plain cheese sandwich. This wasnt a good modification at all...... in fact it was a rather bad one. The really nice carrier man must have dropped it and bent the end up! thank you very much!!!!!!!

Not only did they say they wont pay for it as my mum signed for it but i find my credit card had £117.50 taken off instead of the £100 i was told. i phone the guys trying to explain in a nice way how not only had i piad for scrap but the price was higher to! the guy said er ye the price i told you was without vat.

so £117.50 worse off with a bent bootlid to show for it :)
Erm, if its been damaged in transit then its the responsibility of the courier. If the sender didn't use a service with sufficient insurance, its their fault.

They obviously forgot to tell you it was all +vat, which accounts for the exta £17.50.

It comes down to whether you can prove it was done during transit, not all damage is visible when the courier drops it off and you can't ask him to wait whilst you open it.

Their reaction leads me to believe that they probably knew it was fubared and sold it as such.

Who was it?

Eitherway, you should be covered under the distance selling regulations, just ask for a refund if you return it. If they refuse, call your card company and dispute the transation. You'll get a refund and the seller will have to pay the bank back.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont want to name names as it may make me liable. we live in a world where you can get sued for wearing the wrong trousers lol

i phone the company i brought it off and he said he would phone the carrier. i called him again to see how he got on and he said that the carriers said as soon as you sign for it your saying its ok. is there anything that can be done?

i dont know if it could be straightend but the costs of it would be great im sure.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
No need to name names, just post a link to the item on ebay ;)
I would contact the carriers yourself and see what they say. Was it obviously damaged in transit i.e the packaging damaged as well?
IMO regardless of if the damage was caused by the carriers or not, the seller is at fault for not ensuring the item was packaged adequately and for not insuring it, and I would be demanding my money back.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wasnt obvious from the packageing that it was bent.

it wasn't an ebay sellar otherwise i would just claim through paypal. they are 'proffesional company' they were rover breakers.com unicating with my credit card company for advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MarkieBoy said:
the problem i had was once i received a package and the courier would not
let me open it until it had been signed for

m
There is a simple answer to this problem. We have packages and products comming in to our office daily.

Ask the COURIER to open the package, after all he is asking YOU to sign that the item is undamaged.. If he refuses, check the package for outer damage and sign 'ITEM NOT INSPECTED AS BEARER WOULD NOT ALLOW' this will p*** the person off but ensure a record that YOU have NOT given away your rights to a claim. If he refuses to let you do this or leave the package the you have a claim against the supplier for non delivery of the item ( credit card company WILL remove your money from the supliers account).

Well it works in Scotland . ah suppose we always have the 'gie him the heid' method of reclaim.....

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
mgfhead said:
There is a simple answer to this problem. We have packages and products comming in to our office daily.

Ask the COURIER to open the package, after all he is asking YOU to sign that the item is undamaged.. If he refuses, check the package for outer damage and sign 'ITEM NOT INSPECTED AS BEARER WOULD NOT ALLOW' this will p*** the person off but ensure a record that YOU have NOT given away your rights to a claim. If he refuses to let you do this or leave the package the you have a claim against the supplier for non delivery of the item ( credit card company WILL remove your money from the supliers account).

Well it works in Scotland . ah suppose we always have the 'gie him the heid' method of reclaim.....
You give head to people to claim things back :err:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts