MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my MGR dealer today to order a knew door handle and the bit of plastic that holds the door lock in place.
I was charged £2.75 for 1 tiny piece of plastic worth about 0.00001p and £4 for a handle!
I know they need money and Im happy to use MGR services but this was extortianate!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Pheonix Kidderminster quoted me £17.50 for one wheeltrim, and about £40 just to have the top brakelight glued back onto my old 414.

From what I have seen, all dealers for all manufacturers are just as bad.

·
Registered
mg_zs
767 Posts
A car is worth about 7 times it's complete value when available as individual parts last time a figure was suggested to me relating to Ford parts, it may have even gone up since then!...

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
lol think yourself lucky i've found MGR parts to be relatively cheap in comparison to most other manufacturers. I had to buy a new headlight unit last year and given it's all three lights in one i was dreading it, it came to £110 which isn't that bad go and buy a headlight unit for a focus.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Just remember one thing dealers make very little profit on selling cars. They always make profit from selling services and parts. All I can say is the prices have gone up 40% since Jan 2003. They get reviewed every 6 months and changed up/down if needed. On the other hand discontinued model lines for the MK2 200, MK1 400, Metro/100, Mini and now the MK3 200 can be snapped up cheaply. For an example we sold a door card for a MK3 200 in Smokstone for £22 INC VAT. That's a bargain compare that to a standard 25 one in Puma black at £96+VAT.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
mattie007 said:
I went to my MGR dealer today to order a knew door handle and the bit of plastic that holds the door lock in place.
I was charged £2.75 for 1 tiny piece of plastic worth about 0.00001p and £4 for a handle!
I know they need money and Im happy to use MGR services but this was extortianate!
That hardly sounds expensive to me?

To make the little bits of plastic and the handles, companies have to employ staff, and they have to buy machinery to do it, and the have to pay the electric bill that works the machines, and they have to pay the water board for water rates so the staff can have a pee.........

Need I go on. You only spent £6.75 FFS.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
mattie007 said:
Sounds good value to me, when I aw the subject of your post I thought you were paying £40! A new wiper blade for my Merc costs £17!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Think about this calculation:

Ignoring accomodation costs and management overheads
say a parts managers wage = £9/hour
x2 as a cost to the employer = £18/hour
To order, deliver, store then locate and sell you the part say 20 minutes
=£6
say the dealer paid £2 for parts

So in effect they sold them to you at a loss!

Why do you expect something for nothing? Businesses don't exist to provide service for free, they exist to make a profit.

If you want scary parts prices try Toyota:

Toyota Supra lower front ball joints £125 + VAT EACH and that was a few years ago! Now thats expensive

AL

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Lexus LS400 (1993) top balljoint - only available as a wishbone from Lexus, nothing available pattern - over £300!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasnt expecting something for nothing, but it is very expensive for a tiny piece of plastic.

Why have rover bumped up parts by 40% aswell, this hardly helps car values?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
mattie007 said:
I wasnt expecting something for nothing, but it is very expensive for a tiny piece of plastic.

Why have rover bumped up parts by 40% aswell, this hardly helps car values?
40% have they?

Do you often buy doorhandles then?

:naughty:

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well MG Rover have not put them up. But X-Part (Cat logistics) have. The reason for this is very simple. Most of the parts wear sold cheaply when Unipart supplied them and some wear sold as a loss. X-Part wanted this to change and wanted at least to break even on every part. So over the past year parts have gone up 40% that sounds a lot but if I give you some other makers rises X-Parts is very low,

Citroen - 56%
Ford - 20%
Renault - 47%
Mazda - 52%
Daewoo - 62%
Toyota - 30%

The other thing to consider is parts have always been big business for dealers and now loads of other companies make pattern parts means less for dealer. Put on top of that you don't even have to have your car serviced at dealer to keep the warranty going. All in all dealers are losing out. Many manufactures are making there own special fixings, sensors etc to stop the making of pattern parts and X-Part are also on the band waggon.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just need to get friendly with the parts department, I get cracking good deals at my local dealership, OE parts are cheaper than me going elsewhere to buy pattern parts.

Steve

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well this is an interesting thread. All those bemoaning the imminent move to China where costs will be much lower, please read- I hope no-one above has been complaining about MG-R sourcing from the east?:naughty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts