MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Hi to all!

I had a small hole in my 19 years old expansion tank, and instead of repairing it, I decided to buy a new one from Rimmer. The new one arrived and it comes with two aluminum reinforcement pieces for the two holes. The thing is, in my old expansion tank you are not able to remove that pieces because they are very tight to the plastic. But in the new one, the pieces are loose. If I mount these pieces, for sure they will fall in the hoses and will end in the engine...

Has anyone here had these trobles before?
there is a special way to mount the aluminum reinforcements? maybe applying hot air to the plastic?
or did you mount without them?

Thanks for your help guys!
I can see why they would be helpful in strengthening the two plastic pipes, but if they are causing you difficulty I would just get rid of them.

Never seen any other coolant header tank that uses such reinforcement....

· Registered
6,716 Posts
I can understand all the 'worry' here, but I cant help but think a little bit of context might help.

The coolant reservoir is secured in place and the hoses are not whipping around to stress the joints of the reservoir, so just fit it with or without the tubes as you wish. Regardless it will almost certainly outlast the rest of the car...

Just my tuppence :)

Reactions: Austin2297

· Registered
6,716 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: pisxa
1 - 3 of 3 Posts