MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new expansion tank on my 820 Turbo as it has a small leak at the top . On the tank there are 2 caps , the normal one for refilling and a smaller white one with some wires on it . I was looking at pictures of other 800 turbos on eBay and none of them have the second cap . Anyone know what its for ?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Eh??

I bet the car has NOT GOT a trip computer has it??

The expansion tank you have in the car sounds as though it is out of an 825/827 as they were the only ones that had the low coolant warning funtion, which was built into the trip computer.

Either that or they ran out of them on the line (very unlikely) and fitted it as a last resort.

G

·
Our 820 does not have the low coolant sensor but the Honda engined (V6) cars did. If the sensor is not connected, just use a standard 820 one - they are all interchangeable.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No trip computer .
There are 2 different sets of level markers on the tank . 1 set at the top (max and min level) and 1 set about halfway down (max and min level) which says "V6 only" . So I would guess the same tank was fitted to 2L and V6 models .

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Darwin,

The tank you have in your car is not the correct tank.

Only some V6 models should have the tank with the level sensor since only some of the V6's had the level warning.

As said, you need the tank that is the same moulding, but does not have the level sensor, so only has one screw cap.

You could put another one in with a level sensor, but just not use the sensor as you have now if you are not able to find one without.

Maybe the tank in your car busted and someone got one from the breakers. Is it leaking out the top little hose moulding/nozzle that points towards the front?? That is where they usually go, so check any second hand ones thoroughly.

Also, the tanks are all the same basic moulding, hence the "V6 only marker" being present on tanks which only went into V6 cars (like you have now)

HTH.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point , maybe it has aleady been replaced once . Its split on the left hand side on top . Anyone know how much a new one would be , I dont want to buy a second hand one only for it to split again !

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts