MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read Maxine's thread re her new purchase, I am getting more and more confused....HELP!

I would love a more growly exhaust - not high pitched one, more grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and throaty. Can you please explain the following....

1) Which exhausts fit on the TF? (please note, TF, not F!)

2) Which exhausts have a deeper throatier note?

3) Do these exhausts have to be professionally fitted?

4) What is the average 'life' of such an addition?

I have a new exhaust on my baby thanks to the whole system being replaced after my accident in December. What comes off? What goes on? What would I do with the almost new set up on my car if I spent my compensation on acquiring this addition for Aphrodite?

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
I'll let the more knowledgable people answer the numbered questions, but as for your existing system, the entire backbox comes off, which means you can keep it as a spare, flog it on eBay, or donate it to someone needing a replacement standard box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James C said:
I'll let the more knowledgable people answer the numbered questions, but as for your existing system, the entire backbox comes off, which means you can keep it as a spare, flog it on eBay, or donate it to someone needing a replacement standard box.
James my darling, we're talking about the finishers and the long 'box' that runs along the back bumper that you can just about see....??? Is that right? Where does this bit finish to? How much comes off?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, guys....

So, does that need to be professionally fitted and what is the life of such a part?

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Andie, if the piccie shows up, then that is the exhauset that comes off (actually, as it is a Mike Satur pic of a Daytona, that's the bit that goes on)

damn that krisxf - he beat me to it this time. Took me 5 mins to find a pic, resize and post.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Andie B said:
Thank you, guys....

So, does that need to be professionally fitted and what is the life of such a part?
I had mine fitted by B&G - because the car was there - becase I couldn't be bothered to get the axle stands out and lay under the car. Life of exhaust should be at least the same as the OEM TF unit - possibly longer if decent stainless steel.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Sprinter said:
Andie, if the piccie shows up, then that is the exhauset that comes off (actually, as it is a Mike Satur pic of a Daytona, that's the bit that goes on)

damn that krisxf - he beat me to it this time. Took me 5 mins to find a pic, resize and post.
Is this a Daytona Sprinter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being a girlie...again....what is the average life for any exhaust? As I said, i have a new one due to my accident in December.

What about the cat? Does this get affected by having a 'performance' backbox fitted? And emissions....are they affected?

Sorry about all the questions guys!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Okey dokey you lovely little southern lass, here goes:

1) Exhausts for the TF are often referred to as Mark 2's as they have a slightly shorter connecting tube than those for pre MY2000 F's. If you look on the pic I posted you will see the tube which goes to the CAT only turns 90 degrees once it leaves the main "box" but on exhausts for early F's, it turns a full 180 degrees.

2) Each exhaust has it's own sound and will always be a matter for personal preference I'm afraid. You're best bet is to get everyone to start up their cars at a meet sometime and have a listen for which one you like the most.

3) You don't strictly speaking have to have them professionaly fitted but it is definitely advisable. The CAT nuts can be pretty tricky (and cause a few swear words) and it is a LOT easier to remove the original and replace with the car on ramps.

4) Average life will depend on what it's made from. Standard systems seem to last for about 6-10 years. Sorry to be so vague but it all depends on how the car is driven, looked after etc etc. A new system in Stainless should last easily the same length of time, if not a bit longer.

The only bit that comes off is the bit in the Pics. Unless you want a CAT bypass pipe, but that will effect your MOT/Emissions so would need removing once a year. Just having the exhaust replaced will allow you to carry on passing MOT's but also gain a much nicer sound and gain a few extra BHP.

Phew.....done.....my fingers are knackered now. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
krisxf said:
Okey dokey you lovely little southern lass, here goes:

Phew.....done.....my fingers are knackered now. :D
Kris....thank you, my darling! That just about sums up what I needed to know! If I didn't know better I'd think you'd been taking lessons from gorgeous Andy P on 'How to Explain Basics so even Andie B understands them'.........

Brilliant! Now all I need to do is find my dream exhaust - I know, the TT is out :( ... get some dosh and .....GROWWWWWWWWL!!!! Happy Andie! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
krisxf said:
The TT is not completely out of the question.

Check out the Classifieds section on the F register Forum. ;)
I think Tony W got there first...or am I wrong?!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts