MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 114's rear silencer has come away from the exhaust. It still looks ok (no holes in it), so would it be ok to stick it tothe exhaust pipe with exhaust gum for a while? It makes a good noise at the moment! :evil:

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
hmm not sure exhaust gum would hold it properly or not, where has it broken? if it's right on the join then i don't think you could do it, if it's bang smack in the middle of a straight bit of pipe i think you'd be better off with an exhaust collar/sleeve with two jubilee clips on each end, would probably hold it better.

Hell even a split bean can with clips on each end would probably hold it sufficiently (although it's rust quick so might not be a good idea).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's right where they join together :( I suppose if it falls off altogether it'll just be a bit louder ;)

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
Ring round your local exhaust shops to see if they will weld it up for you. I saw this being done for someone a few months ago while I was having tyres fitted.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
that's gonna be a bugger then, you'll struggle to get them to hold together. Theoretically, you COULD drill two (or four) holes each in the two pipes, the one still attached to the car and the one falling off. Then pass some thick solid copper wire (from house electricity wires) through the holes and fancen the two pipes back together, Then finish it off by applying a liberal amount of gum around the area and covering the holes. It'll work and should be secure enough if you let the gum harden properly.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Here's a very bad picture of what i meant. Agreed though a replacement exhaust is your best option but if your after a quick and chepa fix this will probably work, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shuntis said:
Just get a replacement exhaust, shouldn't cost more than £30 afaik
If I was planning on keeping it for more than another 3 months I would do. :) I'll try to get it welded. Thanks people :) Thanks Schtopper for the pic!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
You can get repair kits for this. you can get it from most auto factors. Even Halfords have them.
It consists of bendable aluminium and Gum. The aluminium is sort of cut many times at one end into strips which bends around the join and then gum is applied around it. The exhaust is then warmed and the gum sets around the aluminium then seals and holds the join.

I think they are aout £5 - £6 each.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
goose said:
I'll try to get it welded. Thanks people :) QUOTE]

If one part of an exhaust has parted company with another the most likely cause is corrosion. Exhausts usually rot from the inside out so by the time they part company the dreaded tin worm has eaten the metal.

You can't weld rust ! :shake:

Even for 3 months the best option is new back box I am afraid. IMHO of course :D
Good selling point though !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts