MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found out why my exhaust sounds like it's blowing all the time.

The gasket between the front pipe (newly fitted) and the Cat isn't doing it's job. Took it off and it's nice and black passed where it ought to be i.e. the exhaust gases are escaping passed it. I've tried cleaning up the surface of the cat pipe seeing as it's as old as the car, and put the gasket back on and tightened the bolts up as much as possible.

Now though it blows worse than before. Probably should've used a new gasket instead of putting the old one back on.

My question is, are there thicker or better gaskets I can use? My mate said not to use "paste" whatever that is, because it's pre-cat. The noise it's making is quite raspy and sounds good when you're out for a bit of a laugh, but it's tiring on a run, and needs to be sorted.

Somehow, even though the car was failed for it's MoT on having a blowing exhaust, and therefore emissions wouldn't read true, it still passed with this gasket blowing quite badly after the new pipe had been fitted. Think they must've seen a new pipe and thought nothing else of it.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Doc. I'll do that. The one that's on there now is a flimsy bit of aluminium. Ta!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, my local motor factors don't sell Bosal gaskets.

Anyone know where I can either pick them up in Neath/Swansea or get them online?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts