MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 1997 216Si has been leaking oil from the top right side of the engine (opposite side to distributor cap) for a few months now. A mate of mine took a look and reckons the exhaust camshaft oil seal needs replacing. Now my intial thought is its probably a job for a garage as i'm not experienced (or brave) enough to mess with the camshaft.

However I've noticed from some posts here that you can actually replace the oil seal by just yanking the old one out and tapping the new one in. Is it really that easy?

Cheers,
Dom

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yes - just be careful not to damage the mating surfaces

the haynes method is to drill a small hole in the side of the seal - then screw in a self tapper into the seal - then pull it out.

I have done this a few times and its ok. The trick is finding a small drill and self tapper to start with.

ideally though the correct seal removing tool should be used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...

So far i've only been able to track down a rear (brown) camshaft oil seal. I need to replace the front (red??) one. Will a rear camshaft oil seal fit the front camshaft, or do I have to get one for the front specifically?

Cheers
Dom

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you have to get one for the right side - otherwise it will leak more than the old one

however there is some confusion here

the front of the engine - is actually the cambelt side -
the back of the engine is the distrubutor side

so the cam belt pulleys should both have red seals

the distrubutor and the one under the blanking plate should both be black. If you get intouch with your local MGR dealer they will be able to confirm this - and supply the correct seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts