MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My F is an import from Jersey and I only have one working fob, I've took the car to an independent auto-electrician and a Rover dealership today in an attempt to get a spare fob, neither could program a fob into my car.
The fact I told both establishments that the car is an import, both said it made no difference to their equipment an it should still be able to program a new fob to the car and both said their was something wrong with my car?

The Rover dealership asked if they could keep my car for 2-3 hrs for further examination and was sure they would be able to sort the problem out
I said 'would you just check the part No on the ECU and compare it with a UK ECU'' rather reluctantly they did & came back 1/2 hr later (sheepishly) and informed me that I would need a new European fob and then they would be able to program it to my car, 'CAN THEY with UK equipment????????''

I told the 1st place (auto-electrician) of Rover's findings, he sugested I get a 2nd hand UK ECU
'WOULD THAT WORK with the rest of the European engine management system in the car?????????''

Sorry to go on :O

Ps; anyone got a European fob or a UK ECU they want sell :dunno:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
My F is an import from jersey and I only have one working fob, I've took the car to an independent auto-electrician and a Rover dealership today in an attempt to get a spare fob, neither could program a fob into my car.
The fact I told both establishments that the car is an import, both said it made no difference to their equipment an it should still be able to program a new fob to the car and both said their was something wrong with my car?

The Rover dealership asked if they could keep my car for 2-3 hrs for further examination and was sure they would be able to sort the problem out
I said 'would you just check the part No on the ECU and compare it with a UK ECU'' rather reluctantly they did & came back 1/2 hr later (sheepishly) and informed me that I would need a new European fob and then they would be able to program it to my car, 'CAN THEY with UK equipment????????''

I told the 1st place (auto-electrician) of Rover's findings, he sugested I get a 2nd hand UK ECU
'WOULD THAT WORK with the rest of the European engine management system in the car?????????''

Sorry to go on :O

Ps; anyone got a European fob or a UK ECU they want sell :dunno:
I dont know if this is true or not? but i did read somewere that you can only program 3 fobs to the ecu, so if the car at one time has had 3 fobs programmed to the ecu it would explain why it wont accept another fob.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
As far as I know there are only 2 types of key fob. Japanese export cars use a frency of 315MHz. All european cars use the standard 433MHz.
So I could only see there being a problem if your car is Jap import.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
As far as I know there are only 2 types of keg fob. Japanese export cars use a frency of 315MHz. All european cars use the standard 433MHz.
That was my initial thought, i was going to ask if the car had a kmph speedo.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know there are only 2 types of keg fob. Japanese export cars use a frency of 315MHz. All european cars use the standard 433MHz.
Rover place says 'the part number on my ECU is European & a different number to UK cars'' :dunno:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my initial thought, i was going to ask if the car had a kmph speedo.
It's in mph, and the car was imported from Jersey 'now I'm wondering if Jersey has a mhz that's unusual???''

I'm grasping at straws now :slap:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
That confirms your car is not European spec and is most likely Jap export spec then, as these have the letters M, K, S or T on the security ECU to denote they are 315 mhz units.

Europen spec cars with 433 mhz units have the letters A, H, L or R on the security ECU.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info SHARKYMGF.

It's all starting to add up now and make more sense.
First of all I was given duff imformation from the dealer that sold the car to me
'Ie import from Jersey' and then from the Rover gararge 'Ie I'll need a new Europen fob'' :doh:

I was wondering why I had the bracket in the passengers footwell for a breakdown flare if it was a Europen car :daft:

:idea: ? Dose anyone know if I can just swap the security ECU (black box) for a Europen one or would I need the complete system?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts