MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm afraid it's time to sell "Eugene", my partially rebuilt and modified MGF VVC that I have owned for about 10 years! I still love the car and I've put it on here to hopefully find someone who appreciates all the mods and will care for him properly!

It is one of the last MGF's made and when I bought it, I was specifically looking for an MGF made at this time, just before they started the TF. I planned to keep this car forever so did it properly and having owned previous MGF's, I knew what to do to make it right and "fix" the shortcuts that Rover made when building them! However, I have "accidentally" bought my dream car so it seems a bit much to have 2 sports cars when I work from home! For me, it is a bit like selling a pet and I don't really want to but I know it is for the best. It is also very tricky to value a car like this as so much time and money has gone into it but to the right person it is worth every penny. The modifications and enhancements to this car were quite extensive and when finished it looked like a concours car! But, the car lives outside and is driven almost daily so is not perfect. It does have a few superficial rust spots now showing so they will need to be done this year and needs new rear brakes (sticking) but apart from that, all is good. There is lots and lots of paperwork, receipts and information about previous owners too. If you want to give me a ring and find out more about the car or come and see it then please ring me on 07786 078757.

Here is an overview of the car:
  • 2001 (Y)
  • 76,500 miles
  • MOT until April 2019
  • Easily 160 BHP+
  • Engine: Iridium Plugs, Magnecor Leads, Apollo Induction Kit fed from left vent, 52mm Throttle Body, MEMS3 remappable ECU, Powerflex Bushes. Head rebuild and gasket done in Oct 2017 by Dave Allkins with warranty until Oct 2018.
  • Exhaust: Manifold has been fettled and rough welds removed, Janspeed Race Cat (passes MOT) & Modified Blueflame Backbox, both Stainless Steel.
  • Cooling: Aluminium Radiator, Stainless Steel Underbody Pipes, all Stainless Clips and Freelander PRT kit fitted.
  • Brakes: AP 4-Pot (Trophy) Calipers with 304mm drilled and grooved discs on the Front and Green Stuff Pads. Drilled and grooved Rears with Yellow Stuff Pads. Goodridge all Stainless Hoses and Servo Bracket fitted.
  • Suspension: Spheres modified so lowered properly (Trophy style), Bilstein Shocks and handling setup by Tech-Speed Motorsport in Leamington Spa (former MGF Cup and BTCC race team).
  • Interior: Full Leather Seats, Silver/Chrome colour coded interior, Heater Resistor upgraded and MG Floor Mats.
  • Stereo: DAB & FM Radio with Focal Component Door Speakers & Audiobahn Rears. Fatmat Xtreme fitted to doors. Plays CD MP3's etc. and lighting colour matches dash.
  • Body: HID front lighting upgrade, Flat Blade Aero Wipers, Heated Washer Jets, Stainless Meshes and Grills, Stainless Fasteners, Mud-Flaps all round, full-size spare wheel with great tyre, no broken plastics, some rust bubbles.
  • Tahiti Blue Heritage Hardtop with Leather Headlining, uprated seals and heated rear window also available as an extra.
There's a thread on the forum about the work gone into this car so probably best if you take a look there for more info:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf-%2Asponsored-mgfntfbitz-mgf-mg-tf-parts-01457-238202%2A-12/bing-its-done-kinda-gratuitous-mg-filth-304250/

The thread was written after the partial rebuild/restore of this car and most of the other work to finish was carried out later. If you have owned one of these delightful cars before you may be aware of some of these mods but the most important thing is, it has a sporty OEM look and not that of a heavily modified vehicle, it looks like the best kitted out version of the MGF! Also, as this car is a "Modern Classic" you can insure it with a classic car policy. I have it insured with Peter Best Insurance for £215/yr inc breakdown which for a car that goes, handles and stops like this is an absolute bargain!

I genuinely don't know how to value it so also any ideas on how much you think it is worth would be appreciated!

Offers?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I sold my last "F" for £700 inc. H/Top which was nearly as well spec. as yours.

I now have a ZR160, but miss the sports car ride.

Will offer £800. I know it's a pittance but that's how the market is .

·
Registered
mgf
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Forrester,

Yes, I realise the values are in the floor at the mo and thanks for the offer but I'm probably either going to keep it or strip it for parts as it's worth a hell of a lot more in bits! :crying2:

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
There seems to be far greater demand for the TF (particularly the VVC) and values reflect this. Sadly your mods add little to the value of the car compared to their cost but I'd say it's worth more than £800 on account of its apparent condition and the work done.

Try advertising on carandclassic, ebay or Auto Trader for £1500 and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Don't rush to sell it and do not strip for parts, that just turns your passion into a job.

I recently sold my ZS, a car I've owned for 6 years and lusted after for the previous 3 for a pittance because I knew the new owner would love her like I had, especially as he was the previous owner had hit hard times when he sold her to me.

Also give your "dream" car a chance to get under your skin, a chap I knew many years ago sold his kit car that he'd spent 3 years building to fund his "dream" Lotus, but the Lotus didn't live up to the dream so was gone in 8 months and was replaced by an old mobile library as he knew he couldn't get back to the Morgan replica he'd built.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts