MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 416Si. The Temp gauge behaves erratically, suddenly rising to maximum, sometimes it fluctuates wildly.
I have changed the sensor but it has made no difference. I have fitted an Auxiliary Temp Gauge which shows a steady engine temp of around 92 degrees.
Also, something has been draining the battery at a rate of 6% every 24 hours. By removing fuses in turn I have identified the problem is in the sidelight/instrument light circuit.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?. Is the instrument panel likely to be at fault?.
Any help would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
mg_tf
689 Posts
Could I start with asking what brand of replacement sender did you use, and are you sure you changed the gauge sender rather than the coolant temperature sensor?
Battery drain:- Does sidelight circuit include tail lights? If so, check for fractured cables within the flexible harness section twixt body and boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. I bought the sender from Rimmer Bros, they said this one was correct for my car (Part no: YCB100420P). It was definitely the gauge sender, it was the one underneath the elbow with one wire to it.
The sidelight circuit does include the tail lights. I had a quick look at the harness today but the light was fading fast. The wiring seems to be in good condition but I will have a better look at the weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts