MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying an mgtf, one of the main points of most mgtf reviews is that of the 'bad ergonomics'. I was wondering what the bad ergonomics are specifically?
I couldn't work it out.
Any help would be great thanks!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Firstly, I drove 20k in 5 years in my 'banger' or 'toy' and I have had a back problem, slipped disc reoccurance for about 40 years but the TF never upset my posture or caused me discomfort. I would drive to Southampton once a quarter - 140 miles and no issues. Its a question of setting the seat-which ONLY goes back and forth-with the addition of the back-rake adjustment. Due to the height of the vehicle-there is little opportunity to raise the seat, even if you can-hence, no option. The armrest is just right in the middle but the doors lack one. You are going to have to accept compromise on such a small footprint. Its a well-know fact that BL were run by small-minded accountants and were struggling for survival-Quite how they managed to launch such a lovely looking car at such a cost-£20k plus is a mystery. I couldn't have afforded one till the price fell to my humble budget.
It is also a question of your own size or stature- they are a small sports-car, not meant for porkers to squeeze into...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Seat height was the ergonomic issue raised by journalists in the day.

I am 6' 2" and I have no issues getting in/out or sitting for long periods. You can buy seat lowering springs from Newton Commercial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's so good, I am around 6 foot and was wondering whether I would be able to fit but I will wonder no more.
It sounds like a comfortable car and I can't wait to go for a drive in one!
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
mg_tf
158 Posts
I believe Julian has hit the nail in saying the seat height may be an issue for taller drivers. I have fitted the seat lowering springs and that lowers the seat a couple of inches and provides a bit more compliance. I now feel sat in the car and my head is well below the top of the screen. I'm 6 foot tall.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Ergonomics are different from anthropometry.
When in the tf, I find the seating position easy to adjust with every movement of my left hand able to control whatever button or lever. The central fascia has the gear lever in front of some of the switches but this is more a sight issue rather than ergonomic. The pull handle on the door could be a little deeper and the door card could be thicker allowing for a more robust grip with a softer curve to fit the fingers better. My plastic or leather gear knob is much more comfortable than the round alloy one.
My Father in Law who is taller and wider than I, has difficulty fitting in the cabin. An anthropometric problem. He can not put the seat far enough back. I do like the seats in the Tf and they offer a blend of support and comfort for short or long runs.
I don't have any ergonomic issues with the TF apart from the inside door pull and the glove box handle been a touch small for me. I do find the bonnet catch much easier to release than many other cars I have owned. The roof catches and outer door handles work very well and are comfortable to operate.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,506 Posts
I found a problem I've never had in any other car before or since - it's the steering wheel. Now you may say it's because I'm not handling the wheel correctly, but when I turn sharp left in any other car I bring my hand right down to the 6-7 o'clock position (I'm typing this from memory so it that's approximate) but the seat in the TF is high enough that my left hand actually is impeded by my left thigh if I try and do this. Actually, there's more to it than that but since my car is SORN'd due to other commitments my memory is hazy about the details, but I think turning left in the TF forces me to use my left hand to help steer and that prevents me from using my left hand to change down gear as I slow further into the corner. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I got used to it but had to modify my usual steering/gearchange cornering technique to adapt to the steering wheel position!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I found a problem I've never had in any other car before or since - it's the steering wheel. Now you may say it's because I'm not handling the wheel correctly, but when I turn sharp left in any other car I bring my hand right down to the 6-7 o'clock position (I'm typing this from memory so it that's approximate) but the seat in the TF is high enough that my left hand actually is impeded by my left thigh if I try and do this. Actually, there's more to it than that but since my car is SORN'd due to other commitments my memory is hazy about the details, but I think turning left in the TF forces me to use my left hand to help steer and that prevents me from using my left hand to change down gear as I slow further into the corner. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I got used to it but had to modify my usual steering/gearchange cornering technique to adapt to the steering wheel position!
I'm going to have to try that now. Just got to wait for a dry day.:)
On the other hand you could always try a variation on this new MG modification.

left and right hand drive.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts