MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LCD on my automatic diesel is showing 'EP' which in the handbook states a fault with the automatic gearbox, but unfortunately the handbook does not give any further information.

The car is turning over and all the necessary warning lights (glow plugs, battery etc) are working but the car is not firing up.

Any ideas?*?*?* Should I be worried ?*?*?*

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The LCD on my automatic diesel is showing 'EP' which in the handbook states a fault with the automatic gearbox, but unfortunately the handbook does not give any further information.

The car is turning over and all the necessary warning lights (glow plugs, battery etc) are working but the car is not firing up.

Any ideas?*?*?* Should I be worried ?*?*?*
Did the auto box appear to be working OK prior to the warning light and failure to start.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
Emergency Program on the auto box should still allow the car to be driven. This is more likely to be a general electrical problem affecting other systems. If you're lucky, it may just be the battery. You should also check the ECU for water damage.

Does the engine turn over?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission working perfectly before EP message shown up. Just had battery & alternator changed in last couple of months and that too working fine.

The car turns over but is not firing up.

Admittedly there has been torential downpour of rain recently but upon inspection looks like maybe the fuel pump. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission working perfectly before EP message shown up. Just had battery & alternator changed in last couple of months and that too working fine.

The car turns over but is not firing up.

Admittedly there has been torential downpour of rain recently but upon inspection looks like maybe the fuel pump. Will keep you posted.
I have encountered the same problem on my 75 diesel auto, my car starts and runs, except the gearbox starts in 4th gear. When I turn on the ignition I get the EP. If I turn the ign off and back again it's gone the car starts and functions normally. Like you I have had EPU changed and all connection checked. It alway ocurrs after heavy rain, My fault started after a full service.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In both cases as Moonstone suggested I would check the plenum area for a flooded ECU.

Doesnt cost any money just 30/45 minutes and could a/ be the cause of the problem and b/ save a small fortune if the area is flooded and you catch it before terminal damage to the ECU and c/ is a very good idea on any 75/ZT considering the recent weather - even a car not showing any problems at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts