MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lovely couple of hours in the pub this afternoon, and whilst I was enjoying my pint, saw a funny sight.

Into the car park came a Volkswagen Golf GTI being towed by an Austin Metro.

What a funny sight that was.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
looks like a 4x4 metro though judging by that front ride height.... :lol:

Fair play though, metro's rule.

Chris

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
I think I can top that Ian. Not so long ago I saw an Austin Pricess 2000HL (like the Ambassador) towing a fairly new 5-series. Unforgetable! I reached for my camera only to discover I'd left it in my other car. Sod's law.

Any Austin Princess is now a rare sight, but that towing incident was exceptional. O series traction - sure can pull up a storm...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
My coupe could be seen towing a yellow fiat (smaller than a punto?) this sunday. It broke down in the outside lane of a dual carriage way (A50) in the right hand lane just before a roundabout. I towed it to a layby just outside of stoke (once I'd found where to attach the tow rope on the fiat - The hook thing had to be screwed in! Rover kindly welded a hook just under the rear bumper on my coupe - very easy to find)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
pete l said:
On the second picture, by the roof line.

Why didn't Austin Metro wheel arches rust but the Rover ones did ? anyone know ?
Cos I think they took a bit more of a careful attitude to the rust prevention and build quality on the A-Series. I've heard stories of the K-Series Metros being made from metal left unprotected outside and stuff like that so it was weakened from the start - dunno if it's true or not tho...

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
that sounds like a few years ago, when my mom had a 1.0 clubman metro and had to go tow my dads 1.8 sierra when the c#belt bust :lol: was so funny seeing such a little car towing a big car :D
- That metro certainly does look spotless!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
gshaw said:
Cos I think they took a bit more of a careful attitude to the rust prevention and build quality on the A-Series. I've heard stories of the K-Series Metros being made from metal left unprotected outside and stuff like that so it was weakened from the start - dunno if it's true or not tho...
they spent £££ extra on rust proofing o k series , with all sorts of stuff but it failed somewhat :doh:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Only Rover could spend more money trying to "fix" something and end up making the problem worse :eyes:

They could've just stuck arch liners on the back et voila problem solved!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
gshaw said:
My son has a 1982 MG Metro 1300 and a 1993 Rover Metro. The first I bought used about six years ago - the latter bought new. Both cars have original rear wheel arches with little sign of corrosion. Has he been lucky with these cars? ... perhaps a little care and attention has helped... he's always hosing out the wheel arches on our cars .... time well spent .....

My 1983 MG Metro 1300 which I had from new self destructed from corrosion .... over fifteen years later ... the engine lived on in another car. Had I have taken more care of that car - it was well used as a family hack - it would still be running today. It was a little flyer and its load carrying capacity defied its size.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Great cars tho the mk2 Gti,i had one before the ZR sometimes wish i had kept it.I really fancy the new golf gti when it's time to get rid of the Z.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts