MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if a ford zetec 1.8 engine would fit into my mgf? also if it would, would i need to chenge the gear box?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
That would be a huge job. And yes you would.

And why would you want too?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
why would you want to chenge (sic) it for an inferior ford zetec engine?

everything is just wrong about the whole idea sorry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my mgf had a huge hgf. cam belt snapped, piston is no where to be found con rod gone. engine is a hell of a mess.
i need an engine, but have been looking at other options.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hgf and the cambelt snapping are 2 different things! If you had a huge hgf, why were you still driving? And you must have been doing motorway speeds to assume you did that much damage to the conrod and pistons!! If the belt snapped i can only say it was down to the driver not checking to see if they needed changing! The only way i can see 'just happening' would be if there was an il leak onto the belt, causing it to weaken.
Engines from th 75, Freelander and Rover 218 as well as the MGF and MGTF will all fit, if that helps to broaden your search a little.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For the price of transplanting another engine into your f you could probably get another f and sell yours for spares or repair

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Whereabouts are you based, and what MGF is it? Im looking for a donor car, so if you decide another engine is too much hassle, I may be able to buy yours and you can put that towards a replacement F (instead of scrapping it!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts