MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following one or two enquiries here and elsewhere regarding the use of an engineers' rule for straight edge checking cylinder heads for truth ( flatness ), here's an old Imperial Measure version I use which I was given many years ago. Like so many aged tools handed down to me, at the time I believed I would have very little use for such a thing ... how wrong I was ... I 've used it many times when I needed a really straight edge:

This is how I use it: see attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Good pictures. Well done for getting them up - Im sure they wil be of use to some.

Nice gagrage btw - is that an MG montego or Austin?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good pictures. Well done for getting them up - Im sure they wil be of use to some.

Nice gagrage btw - is that an MG Montego or Austin?
Tis me old Black MG Montego Turbo ... I only DO turbos ... mostly ...;) Yer tis:

I'm tempted to slide a T16 in it someday. Following fitting a triple core radiator, I can and have cruised that car in excess of 120 mph even on a hot summer's day for mile after mile. That's with it's original O series engine.

Now thats a proper cylinder head!!! Not like those nasty K series efforts. :=p:
Yes ... agreed .. mind you, I like the K-series for a number of reasons too.... so consider yourself partially marmalized ..;)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice that is. Does is still run/work?
Currently on SORN. Now @ £180 a throw .... I can only afford to tax two of the things.

Any party which puts the tax wholly on the fuel will get my votes for life .... wont happen ... far too fair a solution.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Currently on SORN. Now @ £180 a throw .... I can only afford to tax two of the things.

Any party which puts the tax wholly on the fuel will get my votes for life .... wont happen ... far too fair a solution.
I would be happy with that,seeing as i only do about 7 miles a day! Nice car by the way.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Drove one around for a year as a runaround. Temendous torque and very responsive. Slightly wobbly, but very comfortable (car was about 8 yeara old I think)!

Those pics look better than the ones on Keith's site btw.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Engineers Rule OK!

That's one thick block head... heavy cylinder head block.
That is the O-series, right?

Do you have more photos of the striped engines? I'd love to see more.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Do you have one of those annoying ladies in the dahboard telling you that your 'fuel level is low' John?........and how come you've not got rusty arches? I had a non-turbo 1985 for a couple of years (missus learned to drive in this proper sized car). Looked really good after spraying it in the metallic BRG with dark grey alloys (b100dy expensive metric tyres as I recall).

Shiny black with those alloys looks very nice.

As for old tools - got nothing too technical , but granpa's old stillson's have got me out of a coupke of plumbing pickles and I've even used the stanley plane. Just as well I couldn't bring myself to chuck em out.

Add my vote to the 'tax the fuel and nothing else' lobby. 100% fair (and frankly Mr Brown gets enough from this as it is) -

the more mileage you drive, the more you pay.
the faster you drive, the more you pay.
the less efficient your car is, the more you pay.

Can't say fairer than that.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's one thick block head... heavy cylinder head block.

That is the O-series, right?
Do you have more photos of the striped engines? I'd love to see more.
No, the two pictures are of a partially reassembled T-series (T16) Turbo cylinder head. Note 16 valves. It is a substantial beast but being all alloy, relatively light.

The O series cylinder head is made of the same all alloy stuff ( excellent quality ) with only 8 valves and, unlike the T16, no combustion chamber in the cylinder head. In the O series, the top of the bores are a few mm higher than the pistons when they are at TDC. (Top Dead Centre) Thus the combustion chambers in the O series are ... in the bores.... :)

Both the O series and T-series are substantial engines and properly maintained, can complete starship type mileages. They are extremely reliable ... well all those I've had are and have been. I'm a fan of both ...

I do have other engine pictures in various stages of work so if/when time allows, I'll dig some out...

Do you have one of those annoying ladies in the dahboard telling you that your 'fuel level is low' John?........and how come you've not got rusty arches?

I had a non-turbo 1985 for a couple of years (missus learned to drive in this proper sized car). Looked really good after spraying it in the metallic BRG with dark grey alloys (b100dy expensive metric tyres as I recall).

Shiny black with those alloys looks very nice.

As for old tools - got nothing too technical , but granpa's old stillson's have got me out of a coupke of plumbing pickles and I've even used the stanley plane. Just as well I couldn't bring myself to chuck em out.

Add my vote to the 'tax the fuel and nothing else' lobby. 100% fair (and frankly Mr Brown gets enough from this as it is) -

the more mileage you drive, the more you pay.
the faster you drive, the more you pay.
the less efficient your car is, the more you pay.

Can't say fairer than that.
I never found 'her' annoying ... quite the opposite in fact when she issues a warning about rear doors not being properly shut ~ v. useful if you have young children in the back. I particularly liked the digital instruments which at a press of a small button, transformed the Miles per Hour into Kilometres per Hour ... Just like that!! ...:) As well as the odometer and trip readouts! Again, very useful when touring "Sur la Continent". You could always switch 'her' off and rely solely on the useful warning diagrams ... but, I rarely did ... The audible low fuel or coolant warnings were useful too. The car had sensors all over the place and despite it's age, they all still worked right up until I switched that good Old early O series off for the last time.

When I broke my Digital MG EFi some years ago, I got far more for those digital instruments and metric alloys with decent tyres than the scrap value of the whole car. Many of those other early bits, like the red seat belts and superb herring bone seats ( still the most supportive and comfortable to me of any car irrespective of premium prices! ) live on in other cars of mine or other enthusiasts.

MONTEGO REAR WHEEL ARCHES. Until I sussed the road mud built up and 'stored' inside those rear arches and hosed them out clean and clear regularly, the corrosion would appear after about six years from new. In a typical UK four seasons cycle, that mud would be permanently damp and thus it was only a matter of time before the corrosion appeared. The front wheel arches and indeed, everything from the A-Post forward, have never shown any signs of corrosion on any of my Montego cars ... they are really sound in that area. If it was possible to buy a new Montego today, regular washing of thsoe rear wheel arches would eliminate that dreaded corrosion. Some Montego owners sussed that out years before I did and those are the cars which are still in good shape today.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alrite mate do u no much bout the k series engines
Not as much as I do about the O and T-series but, I've already answered your query elsewhere .... alrite m8...;)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
My first Monty's (1985 MG EFi) rear arches rotted out before it was 6 years old, and then I sold it (after tidying it up of cause) and bought a 1991 GTi new and waxoiled inside the doors, sills and rear arches, and after 8 years it was still mint (Not too hot on washing cars me!), and I recon I would still have it now if some nasty scrote didn't pinch it.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Whats this computer or "lady in the dashboard"? Am I mistaken, do you mean its just lights that indicate things or does it actually "speak"??

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats this computer or "lady in the dashboard"? Am I mistaken, do you mean its just lights that indicate things or does it actually "speak"??
Yes, that 'nice' lady actually speaks...as well as the diagrams in the instrument panel....... you cannot watch the instruments all the time as you need to keep your eyes on the road .... no need to keep your ears on the road all the time ...... :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Despite grumbling about the constant reminders of the lack of fuel in the tank earlier, I think the digital dash / vocal reminders was very good and waaaay ahead of it's time. As I remember it was a bit of a pain in the wotsit for changing the backlighting bulbs behind the LCD display though.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Yes, that 'nice' lady actually speaks...as well as the diagrams in the instrument panel....... you cannot watch the instruments all the time as you need to keep your eyes on the road .... no need to keep your ears on the road all the time ...... :D
Wow - the montego has that!?!?....quite a clever car then, and ahead of its time. Even today you dont get them really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts