MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my '97 MGF. The engine running is erratic and lately will not stop revving even with the clutch down. The idling speed varies from 1000 - 2500 rpm. The revs get higher when you pump the brake peddle! This causes problems in slow moving traffic or approaching junctions. I guess the problem may be with sticking throttle cable or engine management system? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the solution could be?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've had this a couple of times on my TF.

not sure if the F has a stepper motor but i fixed it by resetting it.

the way to do it is turn the ignition off then turn it to 2nd set before the engine turns. then depress the accelerator fully and back up again. do these five times in sequence not too fast. wait 15-20 seconds then turn off the ignition and start up the engine.

if this is the problem then it should fix it.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Modern cables are PTFE lined and it isn't recommended to oil them. Saying that, I bought a good old fashioned cable oiler when I thought my cable was sticking and it didn't fit on the engine end anyway as the adjuster gets in the way.

I would watch the mechanism while somebody revs it to see if the mechanism is moving smoothly and fully returning against the stop. If it is sticking you could disconnect the cable and rev it by hand. If the problem goes away then it is the cable or pedal (Mine was sticking on the soundproofing). If it still sticks while the cable is disconnected then it is probably the throttle body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.