MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI peeps
hope someone out there can help,
i have a rover 220 sdi when driving home from work today and i noticed that the revs was slightly higher than normal (just over 1000 rpm) and the red engine light was on but when i accelerate the light goes off then back on when ticking over,
the car seems to drive ok.
cheers for any replys

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
well it could be any 1 of these

Crankshaft position sensor
Manifold absolute pressure sensor
Coolant temperature sensor
Intake air temperature sensor
Fuel temperature sensor
Mass air flow sensor
Injector needle lift sensor
Vehicle speed sensor
Fuel quantity servo - position
Throttle position sensor
Brake pedal switch
Diagnostic input
Battery supply
Starter signal
Earth supply

The only way to find out IMO is to get it looked at on a computer
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
cheers for the reply
i have sorted it in a strange way, i was sat in the car and slowly pressed the accelerater pedal until the light on dash went out and noticed when i pressed it a little the rev counter dropped back to normal and the light went out, it seemed when i took up the slack on the cable everything went back to normal so went to the throttle mount and adjusted it and hey presto.
there's probably a bigger problem thats going to creap up on me but sorted for now.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
hi
cheers for the reply
i have sorted it in a strange way, i was sat in the car and slowly pressed the accelerater pedal until the light on dash went out and noticed when i pressed it a little the rev counter dropped back to normal and the light went out, it seemed when i took up the slack on the cable everything went back to normal so went to the throttle mount and adjusted it and hey presto.
there's probably a bigger problem thats going to creap up on me but sorted for now.
could be- throttle position sensor

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Im not really sure if it can be cleaned it should be mounted behind the PAS bottle with the accelerator cable running into it.

If you cant see it then your engine is the non intercooler version and does not use a TPS sensor.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I recently adjusted my TPS as I wasnt getting full throttle. I followed the intructions on Rover Ron's website, i.e. make sure you get about 0.5 volts at idle. If you have just tightened the cable up to adjust it then this is not ideal, as over time the cable could stretch, and it might cause a fault again. Also, you will not be getting full power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts