MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Maybe a dead easy one but Im having a weird issue. I have just noticed that the Engine Warning Light does not light when I turn the Ignition to position 2 on My MG ZS (petrol).. Obviously I want to see it as the Manual states it will light until the engine is started.

The first thing I thought of was the Bulb, So I removed the clocks and removed the bulb.. It looked ok so I swapped it with another bulb (one from the oil lPressure ight which was working) It still did not light, so I placed the bulb that was on the EW Light in the OP Light and it lit up.. So both Bulbs are ok.. So I got out my multi-metre and tested the back. No Power getting to the light socket.. So Im now confused. Is there a specific fuse that will power just the EW Light?? The manual suggests the Instrament panel would be a single fuse.

If its not a fuse what else could be stopping it come on? Does it on your car?

I cant remember when the last time I saw it was --- IF EVER---

The reason I am worried is because my car started mis - firing today so I re-seated all connections but to test I dis-connected the lamba sensor the started the engine and I noticed that the Light didnt ignite. I expected it to.... I think re-seating all connections seemed to fix my mis-fire...

Any help you can give on this is much appreciated.

MG ZS 1.8 2003.. With MGR fitted LPG.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
PaulZS120+ said:
Hi Guys,

Maybe a dead easy one but Im having a weird issue. I have just noticed that the Engine Warning Light does not light when I turn the Ignition to position 2 on My MG ZS (petrol).. Obviously I want to see it as the Manual states it will light until the engine is started.

The first thing I thought of was the Bulb, So I removed the clocks and removed the bulb.. It looked ok so I swapped it with another bulb (one from the oil lPressure ight which was working) It still did not light, so I placed the bulb that was on the EW Light in the OP Light and it lit up.. So both Bulbs are ok.. So I got out my multi-metre and tested the back. No Power getting to the light socket.. So Im now confused. Is there a specific fuse that will power just the EW Light?? The manual suggests the Instrament panel would be a single fuse.

If its not a fuse what else could be stopping it come on? Does it on your car?

I cant remember when the last time I saw it was --- IF EVER---

The reason I am worried is because my car started mis - firing today so I re-seated all connections but to test I dis-connected the lamba sensor the started the engine and I noticed that the Light didnt ignite. I expected it to.... I think re-seating all connections seemed to fix my mis-fire...

Any help you can give on this is much appreciated.

MG ZS 1.8 2003.. With MGR fitted LPG.

Thanks in advanced
Engine management light won't switch on with the ignition, should just be oil, battery and handbrake, the ECU light also won't light when you've got a faulty sensor as the ECU hasn't been forced to trip into a fault state, it's only at that point you'll see the ECU light fault.

·
Registered
mg_zs
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the Handbook is wrong??? It clearly states it will illuminate with the key at position II until the engine is started...

Confusing.

·
Registered
rover_600
54 Posts
I was looking on my rover 600 as I'm having issues with the warning light. I came across a diagnostic fuse in one fuse boxes under the bonnet.
I'm not sure what it does or whether its even fitted as I noticed it on the fuse box lid of my car. Could see if you got one somewhere and check it. It's only a guess. I'm no expert. :)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
On my TD it certainly lights up for a second when I turn the ignition on. From memory about 10 petrols cars I have driven recently did too, and either went off after a moment or when the car was started.

It would be a strange system when the ECU light would not go through the bulb check to let you know everything is okay.

I can't help with diagnosing the fault unfortunately, but have you checked all the fuses, I think there are several which power the ECU in some way, and I wouln't be surprised if one of those controlled the instrument panel light, separately from the "official" fuse for it. That fuse might be for the backlighting for example.

Is it possible the LPG system caused the light to come on at some point in the past, so the light has been disabled somehow?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just to confirm, on my 1.8 petrol the engine light comes on at position II and then stays lit until the engine is started.

It's a while since I looked behind my dash, but I remember that the bulbs in those little black holders can be a fiddle to get in the right position. Too loose or too tight and they don't work. If it's one of those, perhaps try swapping the bulb holder?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts