MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1998 MGF VVC. I am aware of the common overheating problems that come with the territory. I am surprised however that nobody seems to have come up with an after market heat sensor / early warning system. Or have they? Any ideas?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,896 Posts
Welcome :)(y)

Providing everything is working correctly there isn’t an inherent overheating issue, the main issue is when the cooling system isn’t working properly or is leaking in some way. To that end I would fit a low coolant alarm and carry a new coolant cap in the boot just in case the old one fails (the number one reason for coolant loss in an F/TF)

·
Registered
classic_mg
25 Posts
there are several on the market including Rimmer bros, Brown & Gammon.

The one i have fitted

significantly cheaper but still effective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome :)(y)

Providing everything is working correctly there isn’t an inherent overheating issue, the main issue is when the cooling system isn’t working properly or is leaking in some way. To that end I would fit a low coolant alarm and carry a new coolant cap in the boot just in case the old one fails (the number one reason for coolant loss in an F/TF)
Many thanks for your reply. I am now looking at the after market alarm system available ex Australia. A.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks. A.
There is a device that is heavily advertised here in Australia called the 'engine guard'. It's supposed to cost about $100. However, I reckon the low coolent level alarm would give you a much earlier warning of a problem possibly long before the engine temperature increases. Personally, after the effort of doing the HG and belts I considered the low coolent level alarm almost a given for peace of mind.

I'm just back from a fang in the TF160 now that the lockdown is eased. Twas a bit chilly here in Central Victoria.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a device that is heavily advertised here in Australia called the 'engine guard'. It's supposed to cost about $100. However, I reckon the low coolent level alarm would give you a much earlier warning of a problem possibly long before the engine temperature increases. Personally, after the effort of doing the HG and belts I considered the low coolent level alarm almost a given for peace of mind.

I'm just back from a fang in the TF160 now that the lockdown is eased. Twas a bit chilly here in Central Victoria.
Hi Perlo,
I have just bought a

Hi Perlo,
I have just bought an “engine watchdog” ex Brisbane area. AUD149. Still to receive it but it looks like it should provide a bit of piece of mind. Thanks for your thoughts. Alan. NZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts