MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm at that point that I have a week off and I am looking at removing the engine /subframe. I have seen a few write-ups and was wondering if I can remove the whole shebang without removing the exhaust system. I am looking at changing the clutch and gearbox when I have it out along with painting the subframe and replacing the camshaft seals, and anything else that is pertinent whilst it is out.
I have already removed the rear bumper assembly and heat shield which fell off. I'm expecting the normal broken bolts and issues to crop up as it goes so anything I can leave along would be a bonus I'm guessing. I did replace the timing belt and water pump a couple of years ago and covered 3k since then. All being well I can get this back and rolling within a couple of weeks tops and put some miles on her this year.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Well, I'm at that point that I have a week off and I am looking at removing the engine /subframe. I have seen a few write-ups and was wondering if I can remove the whole shebang without removing the exhaust system. I am looking at changing the clutch and gearbox when I have it out along with painting the subframe and replacing the camshaft seals, and anything else that is pertinent whilst it is out.
I have already removed the rear bumper assembly and heat shield which fell off. I'm expecting the normal broken bolts and issues to crop up as it goes so anything I can leave along would be a bonus I'm guessing. I did replace the timing belt and water pump a couple of years ago and covered 3k since then. All being well I can get this back and rolling within a couple of weeks tops and put some miles on her this year.
Firstly, I’ve not removed the engine on one but I’d suggest looking at CJJs write up on doing it on the Forum. It’s where I’d start.

·
Registered
mg_tf
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, I’ve not removed the engine on one but I’d suggest looking at CJJs write up on doing it on the Forum. It’s where I’d start.
It always is my first point of call, to be frank, all of his How to's are always first class and well presented. I am in awe that he manages to take such informative pictures of each step. I find the job bad enough without documenting it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
To be honest I would have thought the exhaust to be the least of your problems (in my opinion). I took my engine and sub frame out as a unit and the exhaust is better out of the way. My advice would be take as many pictures of pipes and wires as possible, you will forget where things go and pipes and cables run. The how to guides mentioned earlier are invaluable. The subframe front fasteners are the ones that will probably shear off and are a pig to drill out. I'd try and get some heat on these and remove and replace them one at a time as a start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts