MG-Rover.org Forums banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I did mine with little or no knowledge, on the street (dont even have a drive like CJJ, and in Siberia (well Aberdeen).
God damn it, I don't like being out done.

I'm now going to put the car back together and ship it out to the North Pole and do a HG change, fighting off polar bears while blindfolded. :lol:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Blimey! I can see a new thread being started. I changed a head gasket on a MGF / TF....

I'll start - I'm going to change the head gasket on my F in a tightly confined space (single garage on a new-build house).

Due to the high fees my dentist charges, I will use a socket set to remove bolts (rather than my teeth).

Ok - now for the hardcore bit: I will make my own brews!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Blimey! I can see a new thread being started. I changed a head gasket on a MGF / TF....

I'll start - I'm going to change the head gasket on my F in a tightly confined space (single garage on a new-build house).

Due to the high fees my dentist charges, I will use a socket set to remove bolts (rather than my teeth).

Moonshine?

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

Hmmm. I'll see your garage and raise you. I'll do it in my airing cupboard and make my own sandwiches. :tic:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Excellent CJJ.............One of the best hoe tooo's

But airing cupboard and sandwiches..........Luxury...........

I'll raise you.............Undesr the stairs (shoes and rubbish left in) and a tin of dog food..........I'll even drink me own wee.........!!!!

·
Registered
mgf
18 Posts
Hi CJJ, great thread, just about to carry this out on an f. Any Idea if you can drop the rear subframe without depressurising the system. Saw a front subframe being removed on wrecks to riches by just tying the spheres out of the way. If not Anyone know where I can get a cheap pump from?

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
how far along are you now CJJ
New oil rail/HG and bolts fitted, new rear timing belt fitted, new water pump fitted, new tensioner fitted. Some of the subframe has been hammerited today.

Will probably fit the main timing belt tomorrow and remove the gearbox ready to fit the AP racing clutch and the new gearbox.

I am taking pics and will post how to's when done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine removal - Head already removed

Chaps, I'm a total newbie and I'm forced into removing the engine because of a CAM BELT failure.

I've taken the HEAD off and can see broken valves and in the block I can see broken piston shell after removing the sleeve on cylinder 3.

I've never re-built bottom or top end of an engine and without any detailed instructions would not fancy taking it on. So my options are replace engine with secondhand or recon.

Question is, as I only want to replace the engine, and bearing in mind the head has been removed, would it be easier to take the existing engine through the top and put the replacement through the top or should I raise the car and then drop the engine??

Please let me know your thoughts

61 - 80 of 120 Posts