MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to remove the engine and box out of a Mk1 MGF 1.8 vvc. Been told that the best way to do is by dropping the rear subframe and then just rolling the whole lot out. Done all the research and must admit that on the MG & MGTF owners forum there is a brilliant article covering this, well written and lots of photos, HOWEVER I have those dreaded hydragas canister style suspension and nowhere does any article include this in it's schedule.
So I am stumped......I obviously have to discharge them as eventually when the body is jacked up and the subframe etc with engine and box in situ is ready to be pulled out then they will have to be disconnected. What I need to know iswhen exactly do I discharge them as surely as soon as I do the whole car will lower itself down? and I have been told that it will be then too low to get any jacks under? So do I jack/support the body first.
Secondly when is best to remove the rear shock absorbers?
Appreciate any comments, advice on this subject.......................thanks

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
781 Posts
Would love to hear about this, hope you will post video or photos of the process.

You pump the hydrogas under the bonnet so I guess thats where you release it too.

The shocks are easy too, worth taking a look where they bolt in at the top for any cracks/splits in the metal.

Hope you don't have too many seized bolts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haven't got a clue how to do a video but will keep you informed on my progress. It's too bloody cold at present to do much so I am just reading up and taking little notes on the problems I am going to incur. Don't really have an issue with the job just never been around a rear engined car before and absolutely hate hydragas as had a few minis and metros to know enough to avoid em. A spring replacement is the best op, but there again have just read that they make a niffy upgraded set of replacement hydragas units but too expensive for the initial cost of the car. True the only worry I can forsee is the nuts and bolts being rusted on the subframe mounts but hey what would a job be without rusted nuts ;)
Just a quick one while I think of it? when you depressure ise the hydragas units from inside the bonnet, I know it is left and right but do you just depressure the both the front AND back by this action?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hydrogas runs left and right so you have to release pressure on both sides to release pressure off both rear units. Both valves under the black shroud in the front boot. Strongly suggest that you access the proper pump with the proper Schrader valve to release the pressure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, read with interest however gonna have to google this subject again as just wanna be sure before I go ahead and discharge the system. going to take them out and replace them with an alternative sometime so hopefully they me good to refurbish or just sell.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
837 Posts
When you depressurise through the two Schrader valves on the the bonnet, all four sphere will be depressurised, front the ear connected on one side. If you are not worried about repressurising the system, because you are removing the spheres, that makes it easier, not worried about repressurising.

Getting at the rear shock mount bolt is 'fun', hopefully they are not seized, mine where and ended up cutting the nuts off the top.

What are you planning to replace the spheres with? I've installed Mike Satur's FCCKit in both of our Fs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure a very long way off at the moment with the weather and pandemic causing problems, more worried about getting the subframe back on rather than taking it off, except for the jacking up of the car to a height that I can wheel the frame/engine out. Seen some dodgy set ups on U tube and as I haven't got any gantree, lift ramps or much headroon in the garage gonna be a test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts