MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_89_95
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hello all, im new here so hopefully ill enjoy the site and gain valuable info.
secondly, im asking for some help relating to 2 x 14K4F engines.
1 is an LCF102850 J68 the other an LDF103010 L30
The J68 has 152K miles & is on its last legs after many years of good service.
The L30 was salvaged out of yr2000 200 model with 68K miles on it & a blown head gasket.
because it has stood unopened for several years the water lodged in cylinder no.2 has eaten away the liner and so needs to be replaced. all other 3 cylinders are perfect.
On the J68 engine only cylinder no.1 has good compression.
i have checked on Rimmers web site and yes headsets are available for both engines but have different part numbers although i cant see any difference.
can any one tell me if the liner & piston (as a unit) in the J68 will fit exactly in the L30 (i'll use its conrod and bearings) and is there a difference in the headsets?
Many thanks in advance
Mark

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

What part numbers are you looking at on Rimmers online catalogue?

The head gasket options are the same for all versions of the 4 cylinder K series, but there are three different types of gasket:

The original factory fit SLS/elastomer gasket (there is more than one part number for this type as the part number changed when either a revised version was introduced, or XPart changed the supplying manufacturer).

The early type Multi-Layer-Steel (MLS) which consists of a two layer gasket and a separate head protecting shim.

The later SAIC six layer MLS which was fitted to the Chinese manufactured MGs from 2006 and is only available from XPart as a kit complete with a stronger lower oil rail and higher tensile long bolts.

I am unsure exactly what engine types you are referring to - the part numbers you have quoted are almost certainly the casting part numbers for the main block casting, rather than an engine identifying number. The one from the 200 will be either an 8 valve or 16 valve damp liner type (which all the K4 engines built from 1995 onwards will be), but the first one you mention may be an earlier wet liner type from a Metro or a 'wedge' 200/400? The same cylinder head gaskets fit both types though.

·
Registered
rover_200_89_95
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Man In The Car, thanks for replying.
the 89-95 headset is LVQ701210EVA for €104.94 or LVQ701211EVA for €137.40
there are 3 varying part numbers for the '96 on: LVQ000091SLP (128.14), LVQ000091SLPP (52.85), LVQ000091PMLS (66.06)
Also apart from the gaskets i need to know if i can take a liner& its piston out of the older engine and fit it to the newer engine using its conrod
however because im still driving the older engine i cant physically compare like for like with calipers & gauges - yet

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
LVQ701210EVA is the genuine XPart/MG Rover gasket set for the early K series engines which had an alloy inlet manifold.

LVQ701211EVA is the genuine XPart/MG Rover gasket set for the later K series engines which had a plastic inlet manifold (requires a different inlet manifold gasket)

LVQ000091SLP is the genuine XPart MG Rover 'Service Line Part' gasket set - a cheaper gasket set containing OEM quality gaskets, but not manufactured by the same manufacturer as the factory fit parts. Service Line is an attempt by XPart to offer a cheaper alternative to the genuine factory fit parts, to try and compete with aftermarket parts available from other suppliers.

LVQ000091SLPP - the extra 'P' at the end of the part number denotes that this is a 'pattern part' - ie a non genuine aftermarket copy. Whilst usually significantly cheaper, the parts may not be of the same quality as genuine or OEM parts.

The actual cylinder head gasket in each of the above gasket sets is the same type/design: a single layer (stainless) steel SLS/elastomer gasket as factory fitted to the K series engines.

LVQ000091PMLS is an aftermarket, OEM quality set containing the newer 2-layer MLS head gasket with the separate head protecting shim.

It is generally recommended to check the cylinder liner stand proud from the block and only use the MLS type if there is a couple of thou of stand proud and the liner heights are even across all cylinders. This recommendation is based on no particular evidence however, and people have used an MLS type successfully with less than a thou of stand proud.

I assume your 214 is a post 1995 'bubble' shape R3 one, and not a 1990 to 1995 wedge shape R8 type.?? If it is a bubble, then both engines should be the damp liner type, and the liners, pistons and con rods will be the same and therefore interchangeable between the two engines.

The K series 1.4 fitted to the earlier wedge 200/400 was the wet liner type, so the liners will not be the same as those from a later damp liner engine.

·
Registered
rover_200_89_95
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Man in the Car,
thanks for the info on the gaskets.
My rover 214 is the orginal hatchback shape ( the better looking car!) 89-95.
i have pulled the liner from the later engine and there are no seals on it so is this the 'wet' liner type?
if so and my current engine has seals seems ill have to spend more to get another liner.
I got the siezed rings out of the piston and checked the ring to groove clearance and this seem spot on 0.04 on 1 & 2 and .02 on the oil ring so the piston is good

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
The damp liner type don't have two O rings like the earlier wet liner engines - the damp liner is a very snug fit on the liner seat in the block, and has just a thin bead of Hylomar Blue applied to ensure there is no coolant seepage.

Your original engine in the R8 214 will be a wet liner type, and the wet liner seats different from the damp liner (higher up, and the wet liner has two grooves around it near the bottom for the O rings to fit into); you will therefore not be able to use a liner from the later engine in the earlier one.

As your 214SLi is a Mk2 'wedge' 200 (R8), your thread would be better in the subforum for the R8 rather than here which is the subforum for the Mk 3 'bubble' 200 (R3) - perhaps if Roverlike or one of the other moderators or Admin see this they might move it over?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts