MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking about how powerful different engines were and how to compare them.
got to wondering about bhp, does it mean the power (in horse units!) needed to stop the engine dead as it is quoted at a given rpm usually???
then there is continuous rated output I think, this is also in horse units but much lower numbers.
could anyone clear this up cos now there is a row brewing between me and a mate. just realised I am a sad geek with sad geek friends!!!!
I think that bhp and the continous rated output are 2 different ways of measuring engine power but matey reckons they are the same.
How can they be when a huge whopping boat engine is about 20 hp (cro) and our car engines are over a 100hp (bhp)? Or am I wrong????
Guessing the horse unit thing is to compare power when people swapped over from using horses to engines.
Just thought this might be a discussion point for a thursday!!!!!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
the 2 figures are horsepower and torque

torque is the power the engine puts out at the time it is measured, horsepower is applied torque. an engine with high torque and low horsepower means it generates all its power low down making it ideal for towing things. Engines with high HP and low torque are generally eager to rev and fun to drive.

boat engines dont rev very high, they use high torque to generate the power instead of high speeds.

at any one point, hp = torque * RPM / 5252

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AndBurG said:
at any one point, hp = torque * RPM / 5252
This is an equation? And 5252 is a coefficient that relates hp and torque??
Sorry, don't mean to be thick or anything?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
yes, thats the conversion equation

and figures quoted by manufacturers are peak figures hence why max torque is at much less RPM than max HP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I understand now.
Plus I think I have won argument with matey about how the 2 things are not the same!!!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Thnk of it like this. the best ever explanation ive heard (by Martin Brundle),

Torque is the punch of the engine, but Power (HP) is the speed at which the engine can punch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I have won is the right to crow repeatedly until told to shut the **** up, I am RIGHT and you are so, so WRONG. Not much maybe but it makes me happy!!!!
A geek and childish too! Oh well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Superb explanation! I've known about torque and bhp for a while, but explaining it to a non mechanical person is always difficult - not now me thinks!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
nah i dont like that,

Torque is like the weight of a hammer
RPM is like the speed of the swing

power is the force ofthe 2 combined.

horsepower is how that figure relates to the power of 1 single horse

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mike200SEi said:
Thnk of it like this. the best ever explanation ive heard (by Martin Brundle),

Torque is the punch of the engine, but Power (HP) is the speed at which the engine can punch.
Power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts