MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I have 2 probs the engine on my MGF does not seem to get up to the correct temperature on a 20 min or so drive drive and I am having to top my coolant levels up every 2 days, just 3 or 4 milimeters but its been happening for weeks if not months, is there a connection? also I find it impossible the see the water level and the outside line on the header tank so I usually fill it to the top of the plastic block on the inside of the tank which I assume is the same level, I have had the usual checks made at a garage ie the hoses and pressure tested, the plugs also checked . nothing has been found, I recently also had it serviced with no apparent problems found.any body any ideas. ps I had hgf last year .
Regards
Jim

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
if your coolant is clear (no oil traces) and no 'mayo' on the dipstick, and a pressure test was ok, then replace your expansion bottle cap, its the only thing that is not pressure tested and under pressure, a faulty valve will leak. This could also be why the engine is not getting up to temp as your coolant pressure never reaches its correct pressure because of the faulty cap. New cap is a couple quid from Halfrauds ;)

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
i cant make an educated guess on your temp guage but im wondering if your water pump might be faulty........

have a look at your rear drivers side wheel after you have had a leak..is there evidence of a puddle

also get your coolant pipes(under the car looked at) and your radiator

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Normal `Hot` operting temp of your car should show the gauge reading one notch under the halfway mark, no more or less!.

Normal coolant level is halfway up the coolant bottle, ie on the seam!.... overfilling will only result in this excess coolant being `expelled`..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Jim4est, book your car in at Mike Satur he is only a few miles away in Goldthorpe. If any one can find the fault/fix the fault it will be him.

My TF has only ever been attended to by Mike, I bought it new and he was the first (and only) to threaten it with a spanner since it left Longbridge. I live in Manchester and see the journey as a necessary investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Folks, think its the water pump I have just noticed that it only leaks overnight when the water is cold as I noticed this morning a wet patch to the back right hand side, I could see it dripping but it stopped when I had the engine on a few minutes and started again 5hrs later whn it was cold, I will change the stat and the cap at the same time, but I am quite confident that its the pump thats leaking, I never really do more than 10miles at any one go so the temp may not be a problem as it does go to about 80c but I don't really know whats normal. can any one tel me the usuall operating temperature.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
jim4est said:
Hi Folks, think its the water pump I have just noticed that it only leaks overnight when the water is cold as I noticed this morning a wet patch to the back right hand side, I could see it dripping but it stopped when I had the engine on a few minutes and started again 5hrs later whn it was cold, I will change the stat and the cap at the same time, but I am quite confident that its the pump thats leaking, I never really do more than 10miles at any one go so the temp may not be a problem as it does go to about 80c but I don't really know whats normal. can any one tel me the usuall operating temperature.
Between 80-100c on a MPI `F` is about the norm....... depends how hard its driven!!....

When is your car due its cambelt??........ if anytime soon you may as well get it done at the same time as the pump, as its not far off the same amount of work!!..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found that out today when I took it to the local garage, i had a new cambelt on 2 weeks ago at steve mckies in chesterfield, I told him there was a leak but I dont think he bothered to check the pump so it looks like another £150.00 or so, thats why I will get the stat checked at th same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts