MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thought I'd see if you lot had any ideas.

It's NOT lump (yay) but another mk1 1.8 f on an s reg.

I'm at garage and my mechanic is pulling (what's left of) his hair out.

The car has petrol in it, the battery's been fully charged, the starter motor is turning over and fuel is going in and it's sparking at the right time, but it's not starting up.

Any ideas?

I did a search on't forum and couldn't find one where the starter motor was still working...

·
Registered
342 Posts
The engine could be flooded!!!!
Try knocking the "fuel inertia cut-off" to activate. A rubber handled screw driver works a treat. When the fuel is cut off turn the engine over a couple of times, to clear any un-burned fuel out. Then re-set "cut-off" and try starting again.
Good luck.

·
Registered
mgf
3,976 Posts
I know this may sound silly, but where is it sparking?
I ask this as it may be sparking as far as the dizzy but not further, I had this problem with one of my F's, new dizzy cap and it was fixed. Easy checked with a spare HT lead and earth it whilst some one turns the engine over, try all four points comming out of the cap.

·
Registered
mgf
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone that's interested am back at the garage and apparently they managed to bump start it down a hill and when it did kick over a load of black smoke came out the back end so the muppet who owns it had put diesel in it

·
Registered
mgf
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
diesel/ are you positive its virtually impossible to get a diesel nozzle in a petrol car at a garage,
Apparently they towed it to the top of a hill round here, bump started it eventually at which point it coughed out a load of black smoke and the cat was covered in diesel, i think?

·
Formerly StationMiek
504 Posts
My Starion was once towed about a mile by a recovery vehicle while I attempted to turn and start the engine. It did start in the end, as the engine was flooded. What a plonker!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts