MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while I was running with my Rover 45 (registered in 2001) the "Engine Led" turned on and it still hadn't turned off.
Until now it remained turned on after starting.
Can someone talk me about this problem, please?
I can also add that during last months the car is using lot of water, so I have to refill the water tank everyday!
Is it dangerous for the car working on in a situation like that?
Thank you for your reply
Cheers

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'd guess you have a problem that needs addressing promptly. Check for head gasket failure (mayo type sludge in oil filler and very murky water in header, if any!) and while you are at it check the water pump, rad and hoses for leaks.

As for the light, is that the engine management light or another? Could be unrelated and may point to the Lambda sensor being faulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your answer.
The light I'm talking about is the one of the engine management. What can be the problem. What is LAMBDA Sensor?
Thank you once again

·
Registered
21 Posts
You must go to a garage to do the OBD diagnose , the light doesn't go off itself. when they do the diagnose they can see the problem and erase the errors.

I don't know the price in england but here in belgium it's about 50€ for the test.

sorry 4 bad english

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your interesting advice. Do I have to go to a Rover garage or to a simple garage?
Cheers!

·
Registered
mg_zs
223 Posts
Thank you very much for your interesting advice. Do I have to go to a Rover garage or to a simple garage?
Cheers!
are you positive it is the engine management light and not the emissions light. the emmisiions light on petrol models is the same bulb as the engine management one on the diesel. check your handbook. the emmissions is the orange bulb at the top left of the instruments.

if it turns out to be the emmissions light. try not to wory and continue to use the car unless it flashes. mine was on for over 600 miles before it actually dissapeared altogether. no problems since - done over 2k since the light went out

·
Registered
rover_45
91 Posts
You should look for a Rover garage to have it diagnosed and check-engine light cleared, as generic code readers will not work with Rovers. I doubt you have a headgasket failure, as this would've caused several other symptoms to appear over the last few months, as you say...
- Get a habit in looking underneath your car several times a day if necessary, you most probably loose coolant somewhere big time,
- get a flashlight and check all engine bay, if losing coolant you should see alot of residue in some places would be an indication of where the leak is,
- check the oil level daily (w. cold engine etc.) - if too high, would indicate HGF unless you overfilled it yourself...

hope it helps

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thak you all very very much, I'll make this control tomorrow and I hope to solve my problems, I'm very worried about that!
Have a nice day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts