MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a a 75 2001 2.0 v6 24valve around 90k my question is when it is cold it sounds like the cam is knocking slightly on tick over but when i pull away and the engine is under strain it gets louder it lasts about 10 or 15 mins untill the engine is nice and hot then it is all quiet any body got any ideas on what it might be please.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i got a a 75 2001 2.0 v6 24valve around 90k my question is when it is cold it sounds like the cam is knocking slightly on tick over but when i pull away and the engine is under strain it gets louder it lasts about 10 or 15 mins untill the engine is nice and hot then it is all quiet any body got any ideas on what it might be please.
I personally do not know that engine, however I would guess that it is piston slap, which normaly dissapears once the pistons have expanded to give a better working clearance.

The reason I say this, is that I had a Volvo a few years ago, which did this from new. I complained, and Volvo assured me in writing, it was by design and that it was to give a better fit to the bores at working temperatures and elongate the life. Me and my Volvo parted company at 157K, and never ever had a piston problem.

So the above is probably the best case scenario. I have no doubt others who know the engine better than I, may have a different slant on it.

Colin

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There was a problem I believe with a seal on the oil pickup which fed the tappets with oil full of air bubbles. There was a bulletin I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts