MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another question I need to ask all you experts.

My engine fan was on this morning after I had only done a mile or 2, What could this mean?

At the weekend I took all the coolant out of the tank using a turkey baser thing as the coolant was slightly oily….I replaced it with the green coolant, which was in it before. I was unsure how far to fill it up, so I did it just over the middle line. Do you think I may need to top it up a little more? And would this be a problem as to why the fan came on?

Sorry to be a pain to you all, I just need a helping hand.

x

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
In Maxie's case it is okay just to top up with coolant IMHO.
The maximum level is the middle line when cold, so watch it a few days and
look what's happening. I don't know why the fan kicked in.

If you've got an airlock in the system it has to be bleed and refilled properly

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Fan kicking in might be something to do with the hot weather...

sitting in traffic etc...

(quickly runs off before being spotted giving 'advice'... :lol:)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not an expert on anything technical but following my HGF I have been told the following when re-filling coolant.

Leave engine runnning with fan on hot and re-fill that way. I'm sure that when they did mine they had the heater on cold, hence on air lock, so when I put the heater on the air/coolant spurted out the expansion cap!!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mixed it 50/50, just like the bottle said!

I will top it up with a tad more water before the drive home tonight – I hope it’s nothing too serious.

As I took the coolant out of the tank bit, do you think that it could be an air lock??
I ran the car HOT then took the coolant out, I did this because most of the coolant goes into the tank and I would be able to get most of it out. Then when I mixed the coolant I used tap hot water as the engine was still warm – and my theory was….if I take hot coolant out, then I should put hot coolant back in!

Hoe I’ve not caused anything serious?!!!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right peeps, when I arrived home tonight I checked the coolant level and it was very low, I topped it up and all seems to be okay at the moment...I will keep you up dated!! Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi Max

These sytems work at quite high pressures. I'd try a new Expansion Bottle Cap £5.00 ish. When (if) you get the new one compare the brass button in the middle & see if the old one is in the middle. This will help to understand if it'd OK or not. If they are both OK keep the new one in the boot just in case.

HTH

MikeS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts