MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks, I've not done one, I'm enquiring!

How hard is it to transplant a larger engine in to an MGF?
Can it be done, what are the options, and what sort of work & cost is involved?
Can a turbo engine be used?
Has it ever been done before?

Any help/pics etc would be great!

Stu

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Golden Wheels is a car with a Civic Type R engine in it, and someone has also transplanted a KV6 2.5 too.
I think with all transplants into the F and TF, there's not a lot of room to start with, and being at the back of the car, cooling is a big issue.

It's been mentioned before, have a search. :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
1. Very!
2. It can be done but there is not much space in the engine bay, the cost is likely to thousands
3. A turbo has been fitted to a rebuilt K series engine in the past but there is a problem with heat and your looking at lest £4000
4. There are a few F’s with the Rover KV6 engine in the back and the infamous Golden Wheels with a Honda lump in the back.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Unfortunetly there aren't many options, and those there are are very expensive unless you do the majority of work yourself. The CTR convertion for instance starts at around £11K from Mike Satur. The KV6 conversion is not straight forward either, as the front bank of cylinder foul the fuel tank and engine bulkhead so there is a large amount of modification required. My main concern with this convertion is the wieght of the engine and its effects on the handling.
I have seen a turbo convertion, but there is not a simple way to do it. The main problems are space and heat disipation. There is nowhere near as much airflow through the F/TF s enigne compartment as with a front engined car, so it doesnt lean itself well to turbos which need to be colled for best performance. Then there is the problem of intercoolers, where to mount one, and the amount of pipework envoloved if you decide to fit it in the front of the car.
The only real foced induction option is the supercharger convertion sold by Turbo Technics. This is around £7K fitted, but is now pretty tried and tested and there are quite a few Elises around with this convertion.
The other option is to stick with a NASP K-series. This is the route I have taken and am now in possession of a 210BHP engine which I intend to fit around September time if I dont sell it before then :rolleyes:
There are 1900cc convertions available for the K too, these can be quite reasonable if you do the majority of work yourself. I guess your looking at around £2-2.5K for the parts/block convertion so if you can build the engine yourself and fit it, its quite good VFM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts