MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I like tinkering on my cars. Very happy doing stuff like brakes, changed a hub, most ambitious project so far has been doing belts and water pump. I am most definitely not CJJ or MG John.
I have a 54 plate 115 which blew its head gasket twice and is currently laid up waiting a ground up resto. It's a retirement project really, but retirement could be November!!

I have just acquired a badly crash damaged 160 from which I was going to take the leather interior, pristine hood and some other parts. Now I'm wondering if I could also take the engine?? The 115 needs one, and apparently the 160 was going really well (perhaps rather too well, in fact) right up to being wrecked.

160 engine into a 115.
Mammoth ball ache or possile? Engine, ECU? Upgrade brakes? Loom?
Has anyone done it (and put up a build thread) or is it just the work of a madman? Smarter to look for another 115 engine and pass on the 160?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
As long as you've the ecu, loom, etc as mentioned it should be pretty straight forward, although alarm system might be an issue depending on the age of the 160 as the 115 will be a pektron system with all the relays etc. within the system whereas if the 160 has the older lucas system it could be more wiring change to take into account the difference. Brakes on the 115 should be the same as the 135 so you could get away with them, but if you've access to the 4 pot AP's and wheels I swap them over as well.

·
Registered
mg_tf
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening Dert.
I'll be taking possession of the entire 160, so will have the AP calipers and 16 inch wheels (though I think 1 is damaged).
I didn't think of the pektron issue, but car will land on my driveway in the next couple of days so wil find out then.
This will take me a long way beyond anything I've done before, but time isn't an issue. My 115 has been laid up nearly three years, and I'm expecting it to be pretty much back to the shell. Plenty of time to learn as I go.
So far everything I've fixed has been mechanical, and it's the electrical side I'm really going to find a challenge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts