MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am away from my Rover 25 so can't reach it but neighbours to where it is parked are saying the alarm has been sounding for hours now! It is probably because the battery is old and I have left it a couple of weeks now without use. This probably triggered the alarm, correct? If the battery drains and the alarm stops (I'm assuming the alarm hasn't got its own battery, correct??) will the car work okay again with the fobs after the battery is replaced or recharged etc?

The main problem is the noise pollution currently. How long would the alarm carry on (the battery must be very low by now and isn't in the best condition in any case) if I have no way of stopping it as I'm not in the area at all?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,519 Posts
As far as I know your alarm do have Battery Backed-Up Sounder unit which would mean alarm will sound as long sounder battery have power which might be longer then your car battery.

It will sound until whatever triggered the alarm is present.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery eventually died but will I be able to use the car normally again or will the fobs not work again? It didn't happen last time when the battery was low. Anyone know why the alarm went off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add that mine is a Lucas fob so is the alarm system different to Pektron (I read only the Pektron has a SCU)? Does it still have a back up battery for the alarm or not? I ask because it lasted around 12 hours or less and I heard that the back up battery can make it sound for a few days. Does the back up battery (if it has one) get charged up from the alternator or what? Will everything work fine again once I replace the battery as it will be dead now? I know the alarm will probably sound but would I definitely be able to turn it off by repeatedly using the fob buttons?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,519 Posts
If you have battery backed up alarm sounder and it become discharged you will most probably need to replace it.
If your car battery is flat and not able to produce power for starting, your fobs will not work and you will need to re-sync them in the same manner like you changed battery in the fob itslef. But that re-sync process you will be able to do when you change flat car battery.
However when you connect new battery your alarm will go off again and you will need to press fob several times (5-6 or more) first to make re-sync proces and after that to silence the alarm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have battery backed up alarm sounder and it become discharged you will most probably need to replace it.
If your car battery is flat and not able to produce power for starting, your fobs will not work and you will need to re-sync them in the same manner like you changed battery in the fob itslef. But that re-sync process you will be able to do when you change flat car battery.
However when you connect new battery your alarm will go off again and you will need to press fob several times (5-6 or more) first to make re-sync proces and after that to silence the alarm.
I read somewhere that the BBUS has a NiMH battery but is this BBUS for the Pektron system only or also the Lucas? Is it OK to disconnect the BBUS battery to stop it going off? I think it is only used when the main battery is dead anyway.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,519 Posts
As far as I know Pektron and Lucas system have it. You can disconnext it, but in that case you will disable completely alarm sounding, meaning in any case alarm is off it will not sound.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
493 Posts
Likely you have a roach or other insect in your car. The battery will run flat requiring main battery charge rendering the alarm inoperable. Use the key to open up the doors. The sensor on the door posts is rather sensitive to any movement in the car interior. Had a similar problem a week when we were on holiday. After recharge of the car battery it recurred. Found a roach by accident.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,701 Posts
As far as I know Pektron and Lucas system have it. ......
I am pretty sure the BBUS was fitted along with the security upgrades for the 2003 model year, which applied to cars built from autumn 2002 (from VIN 672800). The Pektron system applied to cars built from 30th June 2003 (from VIN 732814), so yes the BBUS was fitted to the later built cars with the Lucas 5as as well as the Pektron SCU equipped ones.

(I used to have a ZR which had a build date in December 2002 and which had a BBUS along with the Lucas 5as).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts