MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Evening Standard are now referring to DC as Embattled.
I wonder what Ford and GM have been described as recently?
It's not just MG Rover that get the stick.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/business/articles/timid399354?
Daimler cuts Smart Car production
Allan Hall, Evening Standard,
1 April 2005
EMBATTLED car giant Daimler-Chrysler, which yesterday said it was recalling more than a million Mercedes, today unveiled plans to axe parts of its loss-making Smart Car operation at a cost of almost £1bn.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
There are only so many words in the English Language one can use to start off an article that will make people want to read it. Embattled is probably one of them.

One can only wonder when the papers will start their articles with 'poo car maker' or 'large breasted car maker'...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
EMBATTLED car giant Daimler-Chrysler, which yesterday said it was recalling more than a million Mercedes, today unveiled plans to axe parts of its loss-making Smart Car operation at a cost of almost £1bn.

The restructuring will involve axeing the Smart roadster and shelving the Smart sport-utility vehicle project, and will result in 'significant' job losses - although the brand will not be scrapped.
Bye bye Smart Roadster? That would be a shame, it is one of the most distinctive and exciting small cars on the road.

The fact you can have it as a coupé, a roadster and a hatchback is very clever as well: you can have a different car for every day of the week. Well, for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at least.

I wonder if I offered £10 for the tooling and production rights, I could buy it? It would make a very fine basis for an MG Midget...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
It's not surprising they are axing it though, it doesnt sell a lot and they spent far too much money developing the highly complex platform, as did the city car.

Why did they overly complicate it just to make it small. It was totally unnecessary. They sell near 100,000 CityCoupes a year, and thy still lose money - a very bad business decision.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Shame...its a lot more interesting than the FourFour. Saw my first one today - one of the dullest looking small cars I've seen in a long time.

G

·
Good i'm glad they are axing it as its one less competitor to MG's new Midget (when it comes out which is *****)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
cityrover said:
It's not surprising they are axing it though, it doesnt sell a lot and they spent far too much money developing the highly complex platform, as did the city car.

Why did they overly complicate it just to make it small. It was totally unnecessary. They sell near 100,000 CityCoupes a year, and thy still lose money - a very bad business decision.
Absolutely right. German manufacturers seem to have a very strange desire to do wrong desicions without a real economic sense sometime (like VW with the Phaeton). They are strong enough in other areas so that they can afford it, but why they are doing it is strange.

As DaimlerChrysler made a profit of Euro 5.8 billion during 2004, they are not really "embattled" - even if Smart costs them a lot of money. But something is going wrong if they always need to throw good money after bad. So they will try to give Smart a structure that can make it affordable. Some time ago it was seen as a mistake that Daimler decided to take Chrysler, but now the Chrysler position looks very positive. So maybe they can make a right step with Smart late but not too late.

By the way, this thread perfectly fits into the other manufacturer chat :xmas:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i liek the roadsters, event he normal two seater cars have there place, its just a price thing. for the price of a new roadster you can get a tf160! although they do seem to hold their values well!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
MGR could always do a deal with DC over the Smart Roadster. They could take on the tooling and provide the Roadster to Smart. They could then base a midget on it! It's a win, win for all involved...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
So, this "Daimler-Chrysler" would be made up of what exactly? Do they own Mercedes as well, or is it the other way round?

Didn't Daimler just make re-badged Jaguars?

·
Registered
588 Posts
deelunn said:
i think they own mercedes - i could be wrong but im sure they do
Well Daimler-Chrysler was a merger of Daimler-Benz and Chrysler.

It owns the car brands Mercedes-Benz, Maybach, Chrysler, Smart, Dodge and Jeep.

The company is also the largest bus and truck manufacturer with it's brands Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner, Setra, Sterling Trucks, Western Trucks and Fuso.

·
Banned
2,065 Posts
I remember WHEN Merc and Chrysler got into bed together.....the two top blokes had their accounts dept do all the sums for them. They than met and "Flushed" the figs in the toilet!

Than over the next 3 hours they "Worked out" the sums on a pocket calulater and the back of a knapkin!

I also remember the comets from Germany at the time "So we can look forward to Mercs with Crappy Chrysler build Q"!

They where right, the fact that Skoda piss alover Merc in the German J.D.Power is BIG news there!

Another example of a car company that lost its way!

Mega

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There's a lot of it about.

GM, Ford, etc....why don't they all p155 off and sell all those smaller companies they bought and now are blaming for their own financial failures??

American shareholders are of no interest to English, German, Swedish, French or Italian Auto companies. Unfortunately, American ownership saps all the passion and enthusiasm out of the workforce of those subsidiary companies.

And they call that free market and consumer choice....... :doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts