MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ellesmere Port workers tempted by redundancy offer

WORKERS AT the Vauxhall Ellesmere Port factory being tempted by the severance packages on offer.

Vauxhall, which wants to eliminate 900 jobs at the factory, has received more than 900 initial enquiries.

Vauxhall is offering severance payments of up to £30,000 and immediate final salary pensions for workers aged over the age of 50 who have 10-years' pensionable service.

For those under the age of 50 with up to 6-years service, it is offering payments of £10,000 with a deferred pension scheme.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sorry im no expert on this, how competitive is this payout? Or does it still come out like a stuffing whichever way you cut it?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Since Ian posted this thread in June about a thousand jobs :bigeyes: have quietly disappeared at Elesmere Port without anyone batting an eye lid. However the future of the plant is looking at lot more rosy and it's a contender now for the next generation Astra...
Auto Industry 14th December 2006

Ellesmere Port back on track

Vauxhall’s Ellesmere Port factory has improved quality and productivity so much in the past six months that it is now competitive with GM’s other plants around Europe, and this could secure it a future beyond the current model Astra. This comes from one of GM’s top-ranking executives and will raise hopes that the plant will receive part of the investment for the next-generation Astra. A decision is due to be made in the middle of next year.

According to Vauxhall chairman and GM Europe marketing chief Jon Browning, improvements in working practices and productivity after a move to a two-shift working pattern and 1000 redundancies have greatly boosted the plant’s competitiveness. This is a critical year for the plant’s future, which was in doubt as little as twelve months ago. The future of Ellesmere Port is tied to a decision in mid-2007 as to which plants will get the investment for the next-generation Astra, due around 2009/10.

Ellesmere Port is in competition with Bochum in Germany and Antwerp in Belgium. The Belgian plant received a boost last week when it was announced as the source for up to 40,000 Saturn-badged Astras a year to be exported to the US from next autumn. Antwerp was chosen because it makes a full-line of hatchback Astras, including the three-door model not built at Ellesmere Port.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ellesmere Port boosts chances of getting new Astra
JONATHAN BROWNING, chairman of Vauxhall, thinks that the Ellesmere Port plant has a good chance of competing with other GM European factories in the fight to produce the next Astra.

According to Browning, (pictured) the move from 3-shifts to a 2-shift system at Ellesmere, as well as the 1,000 redundancies made at the factory, have boosted the plant's chances of winning the new Astra.

The decision about the new model will be made in the summer of 2007.The new car is due around 2009.

Ellesmere Port is in competition for the Astra with Bochum in Germany and Antwerp in Belgium.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is now down to the fact that the Dollar is at an all time low with respect to the Euro, with the Pound somewhere between the two making GM think that Ellesmere Port has a lot more of the future. After all GM isn't a European company and has seen the publicity disaster that was formerly know as Peugeot.

With regard to comparison with Antwerp, doesn't Ellesmere produce the Astra Vans alongside the 5-door Hatch? I also wonder whether GM have transferred some of the non-Saturn 5 door production to Ellesmere Port as a result.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With regard to the Peugeot closure I was wondering whether it really was a PR disaster in the wider picture?

I expect the closure will factor in people's minds in Coventry and I remember the TGWU putting £1 million into anti PSA adverts in the newspapers, but it would seem that Peugeot's target audience of younger buyers aren't really bothered as long as they get their hands on a cheap but stylish motor. I know that most of my friends would still want a 207 as their first car. Have Peugeot & Citroen actually had their market share in the UK knocked since the announcement?

·
Registered
361 Posts
With regard to the Peugeot closure I was wondering whether it really was a PR disaster in the wider picture?

I expect the closure will factor in people's minds in Coventry and I remember the TGWU putting £1 million into anti PSA adverts in the newspapers, but it would seem that Peugeot's target audience of younger buyers aren't really bothered as long as they get their hands on a cheap but stylish motor. I know that most of my friends would still want a 207 as their first car. Have Peugeot & Citroen actually had their market share in the UK knocked since the announcement?
Don't believe it? Ask yourself this question, why did Peugeot bring forward the closure of Ryton by six months? The answer is that their market share in Europe is collapsing. For information check: www.personneltoday.com

So even French workers are now in the firing line.

The bigger picture is even more ironic. I understand that the 206 had a terrible reputation for being an unreliable car and that the cars built in Britain were better built than those from any other factory. Now that this factory is closed no doubt this position will actually get worse.

The "Double Whammy" is that many potential factory workers in eastern Europe are now making their way to the UK, as they get paid more for "Sprout Picking". This is having a big effect on wages to the stage that some factories are becoming uneconomic due to the high cost of shipping the final products to the Western European Market.

I predict that the 206 and 207 will be at the bottom of the car reliability tests in a couple of years time (the 206 is near the bottom already). It doesn't matter where the car is built, if it is thrown together at the lowest possible cost and is unreliable, future buyers have a tendency to stay away.

General Motors have already learnt this lesson in the US. It is better to sell something that the market wants at a higher price and make money than sell some the market will only buy if it is really cheap and concentrate on market share. That is why Astras are being exported to the US.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gosh 8,000 jobs to go in France and Spain :eek:! It makes me glad now that they only did have the one plant here, as no doubt those would've been first into the firing line along with Ryton. As the Euro continues to strengthen the profitability of their exports is going to nosedive - looks like PSA could be in real trouble, unless French state aid comes to the rescue as usual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts