MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

I did a search for this but didn't come up with anything... but is there an easy rewire / replacement for the drivers and passenger side windows so that they go up and down at the press of a button? Can't understand why the one-touch thingy only works on the drivers side and to lower the window....

Cheers in advance for any help :D

Too sunny to be sat inside today :(

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
There are quite a few threads on here relating to this but I wouldn't have the first clue as to what to search for.

The drivers side one touch is controlled by a "mini ecu" located in the drivers footwell on the right hand side by the accelorator pedal.

I know it's possible to get another one of these and fit it to the passenger side but as for getting one touch for up AND down, I'm not to sure on this.

Andy Philips has managed it but that was by using the wiring from a Ford I believe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for the replies :)

Not sure that's the whole answer but it's a start :D

There must be someway of making the current oneshot / onetouch mechanism (on the drivers side at least) fire in 'reverse' so that the window comes up?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Some info for you...

MY2K MGF had 'one touch down' only on the driver's door, this is controlled by a box of tricks located in the driver's footwell:

What is interesting is that the factory installed a foam pad around this box behind the carpet and there is an identical one on the passenger side, but with a foam 'plug' where the ECU should be on the MY2K F. This suggests that Rover were planning on having this feature on both windows right up until the last minute, but it was pulled (probably due to costs). I have a picture of the passenger side foam former on my PC at home.

I had intended on following this route with Scarlet, but feel that the box is too big and too limited in it's operation (one shot down only). I approached an auto-electrician and Scarlet now has 4 window ECUs from a Ford Mondeo, these provide one shot up and down for each window (one ECU per operation) and they also are on a timed power delay so that i can leave the windows down when i exit the car, but superlocking the doors with the remote closes them.

Sadly i don't know the full ins and outs of the installation as i paid someone else to do it (electrics mystify me somewhat), but it is very cool indeed! :)

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
Some info for you...

MY2K MGF had 'one touch down' only on the driver's door, this is controlled by a box of tricks located in the driver's footwell:

What is interesting is that the factory installed a foam pad around this box behind the carpet and there is an identical one on the passenger side, but with a foam 'plug' where the ECU should be on the MY2K F. This suggests that Rover were planning on having this feature on both windows right up until the last minute, but it was pulled (probably due to costs). I have a picture of the passenger side foam former on my PC at home.

I had intended on following this route with Scarlet, but feel that the box is too big and too limited in it's operation (one shot down only). I approached an auto-electrician and Scarlet now has 4 window ECUs from a Ford Mondeo, these provide one shot up and down for each window (one ECU per operation) and they also are on a timed power delay so that i can leave the windows down when i exit the car, but superlocking the doors with the remote closes them.

Sadly i don't know the full ins and outs of the installation as i paid someone else to do it (electrics mystify me somewhat), but it is very cool indeed! :)
That sounds great Andy . (Broon goes off to dream about proper windows)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
Andy, there's another explanation for this: configuring the car for LHD. It's easier to use the same components on all vehicles made to save costs - and I suspect that this is the case here. You may be right that MGR may have considered one-shot windows for both sides, but I suspect that they probably didn't... The foam 'plug' is simply there to fill a hole left for the ECU where fitted to LHD cars (and vice versa).

Interesting discovery though mate :D

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Hmmm, you're probably right mate - will post the picture later on tonight (if i remember). :)

Oh, and the main reason for using Ford relays is that they are waterproof, so they could be mounted inside the door panel and also a lot smaller than the MGR ones. Mine are mounted in pairs, inside the door panel, bolted to the inside of the skin that the window lifter mechanism is fitted to. Nice and neat, if impossible to photograph! :lol:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
It has to be said that the Rover items are very bulky - and depending on where you buy them, not necessarily that cheap either. How much are the Ford items Andy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts