MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've not had my MG long, and I was faithfully recommended to this forum by Mr Freak, so I hope you guys can help me!

The problem I have is that I put down the electric window, and now it won't go back up again. I assume it's come off its runners or something. It sounds as if the motor is working fine.

Does anyone have a workshop manual or a CD version that they could scan the relevant pages for me, as I don't fancy taking the door apart blind - so that would be a great help. Cheers in advance on that one!

For the record, she is a '96 MGF.

Cheers guys. And hopefully I'll be able to become a part of this HCHDC jobby that Hash is always going on about! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well she's a '96 so warrenty has well passed!

I've got an idea what may of caused this, but I'd like someone who knows what they are on about to share some far more knowledgable advice! :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had to get a new mech on my TF a few months ago, the gears jammed with the motor, so it wouldnt go anywhere, unfortunately it was stuck half way down! If the motor sounds like it is spinning, it sounds like the gears have become unmeshed (scissor type mech). Whether this can be sorted depends on exactly what has happened. Mine made some really horrible noises, thankfully mine was still under warranty, and the garage fitted a new mech!

Apologies for not being much more help than that!

Ian

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
How to remove MGF door cards

You will need:

1x Philips head screwdriver

Method:

Begin by opening the door. Find the screw in the door card where the moulding accomodates the dash and remove. Next tug the door pull to reveal the screw behind - remove also and rotate the plastic door pull moulding off of the chrome handle.

Now look into the door handle, there are two screws here as well, remove them and withdraw the handle upwards. Now find the two screws in the door jam, again remove them.

Nearly there now, slide your hand in and prise the bottom of the door card away (it is held with a number of trim clips - separate them with careful tugging). Lastly, unclip the rubber trim finisher at the top of the door jam and then lift the end of the door card upwards, over the door lock pin and then slide it along the door out from under the cheeter (the black plastic triangle that the wing mirror mounts to, the door card slides under it).

Carefully peel back the plastic membrane to reveal the window mechanism. Hopefully you can now see what the problem is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the help guys, I managed to get the door panel off without a problem.

What I discovered appears to be that the clips that attach onto the window itself have un-attached themselves (one has completley snapped off). I took some photos to hopefully explain what I mean better!

I've priced up these clips, and they're only about £2 each, but I have been informed that you need to stick them onto the window with some special adehsive.

My question now for you is that should I bother doing this (ie - is it a complicated job?), or should I just look into a new glass with the clips already on?

If the latter option is the path I should be taking, can anyone price up a new and second-hand window for me?

Cheers again guys, really appreciate this. :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
tf_power said:
Hello Block, if you want to download free a workshop manual of MGF go to www.mgpassion.com click on downloads a you have there everything...

Nice post m8t been looking for that for ages

Plus who cares it's better than paying friking £80 to buy it off ebay lol

and serves MG for not giving the rights to make a haynes manual bastwards lol

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
I didn't think MG had a say in the matter. I'd like to think that Haynes would consult with the manufacturers, but i doubt they need permission to write thier own book. I certainly didn't get permission to write my website and it shows a lot of Haynes type 'how to' stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts