MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I think so yeah, i was reading my mates service history yesterday for his 75 tourer CDT and on his MOT test sheets, the EGR has been tested and passed, as its all with the emissions rubbish :lol:

IIRC its a fairly common point on the 75 diesels... Whats the milage etc...?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is it you see. I thought the MOT only checked smoke opacity. Does the EGR even effect this, I thought the EGR was for exhaust gas nasties rather than smoke level.

I need to know if i permanantly disable my EGR if im ever going to get through another MOT.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried some different search terms in google than the ones i used the other day and the general concensus on the net is that it will pass the MOT. Some people even suggested smoke levels would be reduced with it disabled. Any more comments anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Egr

Hello everyone.

I electronically closed the EGR valve on my Seat Alhambra about 3 years ago and it has never failed the emission test yet so I don't think whether it is opened or closed has any effect on the MOT.

Regards to all.

Proview.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
EGR can be disabled and the car can pass the emissions test. Technially you aren't supposed to disable the EGR of course!

Also on some cars (not sure on the 75 sorry) the engine management light will come on which is (or will be) an MOT fail.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just a quickie. Sorry for the hi jack but not worth a new thread on EGRs.

I took out my EGR recently and put the blank plate on exhaust mani and one on the inlet.

I've also removed the solenoid completely too. I've put a screw in the brake vac hose where the EGR joined.

Do people normally take out the solenoid. I just wanted tidiness.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just a quickie. Sorry for the hi jack but not worth a new thread on EGRs.

I took out my EGR recently and put the blank plate on exhaust mani and one on the inlet.

I've also removed the solenoid completely too. I've put a screw in the brake vac hose where the EGR joined.

Do people normally take out the solenoid. I just wanted tidiness.
I've removed mine compleatly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts